Auto posting of reminders

harrya

16 Jul, 2010 09:44 AM

Like many others I have a number of reminders that are automatically posted to the appropriate account.
The posting in advance of regular income and expenditure allows one to have a rolling [3 months in my case] budget and to identify the impact of other, discretionary expenditure.
To do this one has to nominate for each reminder the number of days in advance that it will be posted.
I suggest and much prefer a global setting for this so that I may quickly change the length of the forward view.
That suggestion aside, I might also say that the 3 months advance posting works great in Moneydance but is a bit of a pain in the iPhone app.
It opens at the last date [3 months from today] and requires scrolling back to check recent expenditure.

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 16 Jul, 2010 03:11 PM

Hi Harrya

That an interestng idea. In your imagined version of this feature would reducing the global setting remove reminder transactions that have already been posted to the register, or would it only affect transaction yet to be posted?

Ben

2. 2 Posted by harrya on 16 Jul, 2010 11:05 PM

Hi Ben,

The selector for this purpose might provide for a variable number of months in advance of the current month.
    say, from 12 months, 11, 10 etc, right back to zero.
    Zero would mean that the current month would include reminder transactions that have been posted for that month.

This is not an original idea on my part.
    It is a principle applied in at least one other financial program.
    It is simply an elegant way of managing the process of viewing future transactions.
    The global action ensures that the forward view of ones finances remains contextual since includes all upcoming debits and credits.
    It includes all auto-committed transactions AND any ad-hoc transactions entered in advance.

I might have a transaction for the future that is entered directly into an account as an ad-hoc reminder.
    So the global control does not only apply to auto-committed entries.

The global settings when set to zero for instance removes from view all all future transactions beyond the current month.

Regards,
    Harry Austin

3. 3 Posted by Ben Spencer on 19 Jul, 2010 08:59 PM

Hi Harry

It seems like what you are looking for is a way to predict the future balance of an account. Have you looked at either the "balance predictor" extension or the "forecaster" extension?

Both of these are free and allow you to graph the future balances of account based on reminders and/or past transactions.

"Forecaster" is a 3rd party extension that can be downloaded from the following link:

http://code.google.com/p/moneydance-forecaster/

And Balance predictor can be installed directly into Moneydance form our server by selecting Extensions->Add, select Form Internet click next and then select "balance predictor"

Sincerely
    Ben Spencer

4. 4 Posted by harrya on 20 Jul, 2010 05:23 AM

Hi Ben,

I downloaded the Forecaster extension.
    I did not see the Balance Predictor extension.

I utilise the auto-committ feature in Moneydance to preview a rolling picture of the impact of regular and irregular commitments.
    To get a running picture of the impact those debits and credits each reminder is set to the same period in advance, which in my case at the moment is 90 days.
    I also add ad-hoc reminders for irregular services or want to consider when I might best make a significant purchase.
    Moneydance facilitates this.

What I am looking for is simply a way to vary the preview period without having to adjust every reminder.
    Hence the suggestion of a global facility to do that.

Regards,
    Harry

5. 5 Posted by Ben Spencer on 20 Jul, 2010 02:43 PM

I have created a suggestion ticket based on your description of the feature and attached it to this case.

Ben

6. System closed this discussion on 31 Mar, 2015 03:29 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac