Show Other Side or 'Command [' for Split Transactions

dj

04 Sep, 2010 05:09 PM

Suggestion for enhancement of the "Show Other Side" command when dealing with Split Transactions.

I believe this was asked before but was maybe not explained very well.

Example: I have a paycheck transaction which has many "splits" most of which are Categories but a couple of which are Accounts. Something like;
Wages (C)
401k (A)
Tax:Fed (C)
Tax:Medicare (C)
Tax:Soc Sec (C)
Tax:State (C)
Savings (A)
401k (A) [another line item for the employer match to the same account as above]
Employer:Benefit (C)

When on the MAIN transaction, doing a 'Command [' brings up the Wages category. Where what I would EXPECT is that it would take me to an ACCOUNT and not a category but then I understand why it does this as you need to be able to get to the "other side" of those transactions as well.

The much more frustrating part, is that when I am looking at the Category 'Tax:Fed' and am sitting on a transaction, when I perform the "Show Other Side", I FULLY expected to be taken to the main transaction, and NOT the next split line item. But this leaves you with the question of how to get to any split item that isn't the first one on the main transaction.

So, I would like to make the following suggestion.
When the "Show Other Side" is performed on a split transaction, pop up a window asking "which" other side you would like to view.
If you are already on the "Other Side" then simply take me back to the "main" transaction that contains the splits.

As a second idea, you could possibly also make this two different commands, 1) Show Other Account Side and 2) Show Other Category Side. This way if only one "account" is listed in the spit, it would take you directly to that line item (the same could be true for a single category line item) and if there is more than one, just pop up a list of only the accounts or only the categories. Making a much smaller list to select from in finding the other side.

That may be much more work and not really worth the effort if the pop up were implemented properly. You could even provide a pop list of all the items when performing a Show Other Side from one of the "split" sides, but I would rather see it just take me to the parent line item where I can then perform another Show Other Side and select the other item, if I actually needed to do that. When I'm viewing a line item in a Category or Account that belongs to a split some place else, I almost ALWAYS want to be taken to the main transaction.

Thanks
DJ

1. 1 Posted by Angie Rauscher on 05 Sep, 2010 12:23 AM

DJ,

This is a great suggestion, and thank you for the detailed explanation of the desired functionality. Thank you for your suggestions for improvements to Moneydance. The ticket is attached to this discussion. By posting in this discussion your interest in the ticket has been registered. This is equivalent to voting for it.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Angie Rauscher
    Moneydance Support

2. System closed this discussion on 31 Mar, 2015 03:29 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

24 Sep, 2022 09:55 PM
24 Sep, 2022 09:50 PM
24 Sep, 2022 09:43 PM