automatic Catagory fill in

Russ Wood

20 Nov, 2010 08:06 PM

After entering the payee name in the check register (manually or using Auto-filI) I would like to see the Category column filled in automatically with the last transaction data for that payee(without doing anything). i.e. for example, if I enter "YMCA" as the payee and the last Category I used for that payee was "Personal:Health membership:Mike" then that info would pop up automatically without doing anything. This would save me a lot of time, especially for cases where I don't remember how I categorized a transaction before and I have to manually scroll thru the categories and look for the correct one. I know that the auto-fill feature works in the category field, but this would save even more time. I suppose if some folks wouldn't like to see this, it could be set as an option in the Preferences setup. thanks for considering it.

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 20 Nov, 2010 09:23 PM

Hi Russ,
    I can not reproduce this.
    If I enter a payee name into the 'Description' field that is the same as a prior payee, MD will auto complete the name. If I then Tab or Click into the 'Category' field MD auto-enters the same category as the most recently entered category for that particular payee.

To assist the Moneydance Support Staff in helping you, provide the following:
    Version of Moneydance
    Operating system and version
    Version of Java installed
    You can glean this information from the first few lines of text in the Console Windown under Moneydance's Help menu.
    HTH -Kevin N.

2. 2 Posted by Russ Wood on 22 Nov, 2010 05:57 AM

Here's my settings:
    Starting Moneydance 2010r2 (735)
    Java: 1.6.0_07 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
    I can't get this to work on my machine. Any suggestions?
    thanks

3. 3 Posted by Jon Hoover on 22 Nov, 2010 02:15 PM

Russ,
    Please upgrade to the latest stable release of MD, you have a somewhat older version and I do believe we have resolved the issue you are having in a subsequent version: http://www.moneydance.com/download/2010/installers/MoneydanceInstal...
    If this doesn't do it, let me know and we will look at other options.
    Sincerely,
    Jon Hoover, Moneydance Support

4. 4 Posted by Russ Wood on 23 Nov, 2010 07:04 PM

Jon - I updated to the latest version of moneydance. I noticed that the auto category fill works fine if I manually enter a new transaction. As soon as I enter the payee and press tab.....the last category info fills is automatically as you said. However I am importing all of my transactions (file-import-OFX open financial exchange). For some reason this function doesn't work on the imported data.

5. 5 Posted by -Kevin N. on 23 Nov, 2010 07:26 PM

Hi Russ,
    To have MD auto-enter the Category for downloaded / imported txns go to File > Preferences > Network tab, put a check mark next to 'Automatically Merge Downloaded Transactions'
    HTH -Kevin N.

6. 6 Posted by Ben Spencer on 24 Nov, 2010 06:44 PM

The function that auto populates the category in a transaction when you manually enter the payee only operates when you are creating a new transaction. It does not change the category if you change the payee on an existing transaction. We have an existing ticket in our issue tracking system suggesting that this auto setting of the category when manually editing the payee also apply to unconfirmed transactions. I have linked this ticket to this discussion.

Sincerely
    Ben Spencer

7. System closed this discussion on 31 Mar, 2015 03:31 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac