Base Account

Hugh Poyser

07 Jan, 2016 10:23 AM

How do you delete a base account. I want to move from MS Money and want to get rid of the experiment and start again.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jenny on 07 Jan, 2016 12:18 PM

Hi Hugh,

If you want to completely remove your data set and start again, you can follow the instructions in this article - http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/moneydance-2015/how-to-delete-an-un...

If you would like to keep the 'Test' data set, you can create another by going to File --> New. You can switch between data set by going to File --> Open and selecting one from the available list.

I hope this information is helpful, please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Hugh Poyser on 07 Jan, 2016 02:09 PM

Hi Thanks for your quick response. I am using Moneydance in Windows 10 not apple as the guidance shows. I want to remove a Base account file, ie the whole lot forever. I want to start all over again, even uninstalling the programme and then reinstalling does not get a fresh start. I've tried as you suggest but there is nowhere to delete everything.

I hope you can help

Hugh

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ethan on 07 Jan, 2016 02:23 PM

Hello Hugh,

The process should be the same regardless of operating system. Can you please confirm that going to File -> New from the Moneydance menu bar does not seem to create a completely new data file?

Ethan
    Moneydance Support

4. 4 Posted by Hugh Poyser on 07 Jan, 2016 02:52 PM

Hi yes File - New does create a new data file , but how do you delete the old one??

Hugh

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Jenny on 07 Jan, 2016 03:13 PM

Hi Hugh,

You can follow the steps in this article - http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/moneydance-2015/how-to-delete-an-un...

Although the screenshots are of a Mac, the process is the same for Windows.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

6. 6 Posted by -Kevin N. on 07 Jan, 2016 03:25 PM

Hi Hugh,

From the Moneydance menu bar, go to Help > Show Documents Folder.

A file browser will open to the default location for Moneydance data sets.
    Moneydance data sets are in the following format:
    yourfilename.moneydance
    Where yourfilename is the name that you gave to your data set.

At this point, close Moneydance but keep the file browser open.

You can now delete the unwanted data set.

It would be a good idea at this point to know and understand exactly where your data set(s) are being stored so as to make sure that your backup routine is including them.

HTH -Kevin N.

7. 7 Posted by Hugh Poyser on 07 Jan, 2016 03:34 PM

Hi Kevin

Excellent That worked. Now I will start again. I am looking for a MS Money replacement but have used Money from 1998 with last upgrade in 2004 so am hoping I can transfer all the data. I like Moneydance format so I'm glad of the new start.

Thanks

8. 8 Posted by -Kevin N. on 07 Jan, 2016 03:47 PM

Hi Hugh,

I'm still using MS Money alongside of Moneydance. I like some of the reports better in MS Money.

Depending on the complexity of your data, the export / import process of getting data out of MS Money and into Moneydance may not be trivial.

Follow the instructions, take your time. There will be some clean up required afterwards. Initial balances will likely need to be re-entered, stock splits will need to be re-applied.
    http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/importing-data-from-banks-and-other...

HTH -Kevin N.

9. 9 Posted by Hugh Poyser on 07 Jan, 2016 04:13 PM

Kevin. Thank you for that reply I will make sure I have the time to carry out the move successfully, But I am wondering if your wayof working may be better, For me , I'd run MS Money for the historical data and perhaps only transfer say 2014/15 and as I had planned a new money programme for the new year. Less to try and move and less error.

Thanks for the advice I'll run with it for a couple of days and slowly change over,
    Hugh

10. 10 Posted by dwg on 07 Jan, 2016 08:17 PM

Hugh,

That method can work well if you only have bank type data, however if you have investment data it can be problematic since investments usually run for many years and more often than not involve transfers between themselves and bank accounts. Without the bank account data it throws the investment accounts out.

Des

11. System closed this discussion on 07 Apr, 2016 08:20 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac