using Moneydance

judith

11 Jan, 2016 05:29 PM

I have had it with Quicken! I have downloaded the trial Moneydance program and have a couple of questions. I do't see how to enter categories and wonder how one sets up categories and subcategories. Can one get a category report? I don't plan to connect with my bank but assume I'll be able to do so at some future time? Is support from you always available or do you charge for it as Quicken does? Thanks for answers to these questions and please tell me why Moneydance is the best product available.

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 11 Jan, 2016 05:46 PM

Hi judith,

...how to enter categories and wonder how one sets up categories and subcategories.

To enter / edit categories & sub-categories; from the menu bar go to Tools > Categories.

Can one get a category report?

Category reports can be generated through the Income & Expense reports as well as others.

I don't plan to connect with my bank but assume I'll be able to do so at some future time?

Moneydance connects to financial institutions via direct-connect using OFX protocols (it does not use web-connect) Here is a link to the financial institutions that support direct-connect in Moneydance.
    http://infinitekind.com/fi
    Moneydance can also manually import OFX, OFC, QFX and QIF file formats. It can also import formatted CSV files into Bank and Credit Card accounts via the use of extensions.

Is support from you always available or do you charge for it as Quicken does?

Support is provided through this website. It is actively monitored by the Moneydance support staff as well as a knowledgeable user base free of charge.

why Moneydance is the best product available

Support is free as mentioned earlier. Moneydance does not sunset the program. You'll not be forced to upgrade in order to continue to use the program. And, it's not Quicken. :)

HTH -Kevin N.

2. 2 Posted by Judith Felton on 11 Jan, 2016 05:52 PM

Thanks, Kevin. If this is the kind of support I'll get from Moneydance, I think I'll purchase it after fooling around more with the trial program. I can't wait to get rid of Quicken! Many thanks. Judith

Sent from my iPhone

3. 3 Posted by -Kevin N. on 11 Jan, 2016 06:14 PM

Hi Judith,

You're welcome. Support queries are usually answered within 24 hours.

If I may make a suggestion, before plunking down any money, try to import your Quicken data into Moneydance (if possible) and try to set up your banks with direct-connect so as to 'get past' the higher hurdles of switching personal finance programs.

Be sure to read the paragraph at the top of the webpage of the supported financial institutions that I provided the link to. There may or may not be a bank-imposed charge for the service. (a charge that I would sooner change banks than pay)

Here is a link to the Moneydance User Guide, if you haven't already found it:
    http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/user-guides

HTH -Kevin N.

4. 4 Posted by Judith Felton on 11 Jan, 2016 07:06 PM

Thanks again. At this point I don't plan to import Quicken or to do direct-connect with a bank. Since it is early January, it's relatively simple to start from scratch. Your users guide looks like it will be very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone

5. System closed this discussion on 11 Apr, 2016 07:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac