Convert from Quicken

phkiernan

28 Jan, 2019 11:00 PM

Hi. I want to switch from Quicken to Moneydance. However, all my Quicken 2016 files are saved as QDF datafiles, and when I try to synch with Moneydance it says that the QDF file type in "unknown" (or something like that). So how can I import my old Quicken stuff?

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by phkiernan on 03 Mar, 2019 10:47 PM

George,

After failing in my first try at converting, I tried again, and I am 100% -
    to the penny on my conversion. I have investment history back to 1996, and
    thousands of investment transactions across dozens of mutual funds, stocks
    and brokers. I found a couple of very simple tips and it worked
    beautifully.

Best Regards,

Pat

Patrick Kiernan
    [email blocked]

2. 32 Posted by phkiernan on 03 Mar, 2019 10:50 PM

If anyone can figure out a way to do this securely (maybe fake account
    numbers?), I think I might offer doing conversions for a consulting fee.

Best Regards,

Pat

Patrick Kiernan
    [email blocked]

3. 33 Posted by Varouj on 04 Mar, 2019 01:22 AM

I was so excited that I was able to finally import from Quicken with little effort once I figured out the trick, see my previous posting. I connected my first brokerage account to download online, and that was pretty ugly. I am tired of this software, i am done trying. It downloaded all the transactions since 2017!!!!! WHY!!!!! and all the new download had a different name for the securities so now i have a biiiiiiiig mess!! I am done Money Dance, keel dancing and you will be going nowhere. pretty dumm developers, sorry to say it.
    This is my last post here. Stuck with Quicken for good.

4. 34 Posted by George Khawand on 04 Mar, 2019 03:41 PM

Varouj,

I was encouraged by your previous post on MoneyDance. I thought there might be really be an alternative to Quicken for us long time Quicken users. But now with your latest post, I am discouraged again. My understanding is that you gave up on MD.....unfortunate.

There is a great opportunity here for MD developers to bring in lots of Quicken folks if they really targeted our needs. This is not rocket science and it can be done. I hope they are reading these posts.

5. 35 Posted by George Khawand on 04 Mar, 2019 03:51 PM

I think I will continue to investigate MoneySpire as an alternative then. Blogs indicated that it is closest to Quicken and the transfer is seamless.

6. 36 Posted by dwg on 04 Mar, 2019 08:27 PM

Many of us migrated from Quicken and have done so successfully.

Many of the problems I have seen reported I believe are due to the new QIF importer, the problems with the old importer were more around users choosing the wrong options, something that wss not hard to address.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac