Comments on Trial Limitations

cyclnz

30 Mar, 2019 09:05 PM

I have been looking for an alternative to Quicken and have started to check out Money Dance. Your trial policy seemed perfect for me, however you may want to refine it. After importing my current Quicken accounts there were many things lacking. Some may have been lacking in my Quicken files and some a result of the import that needed to be cleaned up. I have set up the online download for my main accounts and was merging many of those transactions with the imported QIF transactions. In the process I was cleaning up some of the categories. I had not entered any new transactions and did not intend to while I check the program out. I was intending to get it cleaned up so I could check the accounts versus my Quicken, but apparently cleaning up the categories counted as a new transaction entry, so I was stopped before I got my accounts to the point where I could finish my evaluation.

I may be able to continue my evaluation, but I'm afraid I won't be able to. Some of the account balances are way out of whack with the Quicken accounts, largely because of transfer entries between accounts. So I have lots of work to do before I get the MoneyDance file where I want it to be.

I would suggest that editing a transaction or merging should not count against the 100 new transactions. I have not added any new transactions but I hit the limit and am probably handicapped by how much I can now do to get my years of records transferred into MoneyDance. Other than not being able to finish my evaluation, I had an early positive impression of the program.

1. 1 Posted by cyclnz on 15 Jun, 2019 08:25 AM

I did purchase Moneydance and have all my active accounts loaded. There was a bit of a learning curve, but I have a pretty good handle on most of the features. I still believe my comment about the limitation applies.

I am generally happy with Moneydance because it doesn't seem to be as bloated and buggy as Quicken. But I do find some things lacking mostly with regards to Investment accounts. As I get more hours using it, I may summarize some of the bigger issues. I see others have already commented on most of them like transferring securities from one account to another without losing cost basis history and being able to handle stock options cleanly.

2. 2 Posted by TonyRI on 15 Jun, 2019 11:18 AM

Hi cyclnz,

but apparently cleaning up the categories counted as a new transaction entry

I don't think that this is made very clear in the Knowledge Base article:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/purchasing-and-upgrading/tria...

Esp. Downloaded and imported transactions are unlimited, so you can fully test features like importing from other programs, and downloading data from your bank.

I agree with your suggestion that editing/merging of imported data should not count. In lieu of that, perhaps wording could be added to the above page to include the detail that you reported in a parenthetical statement, such as (Modifying imported data, by editing, or merging may also count toward the 100 transaction limit).

I will tell you that the way that I've seen this issue handled in the past is that the 90 Day Money-back guarantee is cited:

https://infinitekind.com/refunds

The IK basically suggests that if you don't have enough time to evaluate the program based on the 100 manually entered transactions limit, that you can always purchase the program with the peace-of-mind knowing that you can always receive a refund if you aren't satisfied within the 90 day period.

Just wanted to offer the refund option to you, so that you know that you are not strictly bound by the trial version limitations at this point as you continue your evaluation.

Regards,

Tony (NOT from Moneydance Support)

3. 3 Posted by cyclnz on 19 Jul, 2019 06:05 PM

I did purchase the program and am generally happy. It is lacking in many areas, but I rather it not become bloated like Quicken became.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac