Adjusting securities positions and obtaining pricing quotes

Doug

21 May, 2019 11:29 PM

Hello,

I'm in the process of switching from Quicken to Moneydance and imported my data using via a QIF file and am encountering several issues and am hoping someone can help me with them.

One problem is several of my security positions have incorrect number of shares. I want to create a 'balance' entry where I can add / decrease the amount of shares so the portfolio view will contain the correct amount

Another issue is at some point I owned some securities but no longer hold them (e.g. AOL), but the portfolio view shows a "credit" and "debit" for these securities which essentially "zeros" the positions out. Why is this happening and how do I delete those positions?

I downloaded the "quotes and exchange rates" extension, but it doesn't seem to be updating the prices. How can I check this is functioning?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 22 May, 2019 07:04 AM

I am not support staff just a user.

To buy or sell shares in a security instead of clicking on the PORTFOLIO VIEW tab click on the REGISTER tab. Use the NEW TRANSACTION button or double click on an existing transaction to edit. You can also right click on a highlighted transaction to display a number of actions including delete.

If your Quicken QIF file contains buy and sell transactions for a security then Moneydance has to enter these transactions even if the number of shares in the buy’s and sell’s transactions cancel each other out so you have no longer any holdings in that security.

For updating prices make sure you have a valid ticker symbol for each security. TOOLS – SECURITIES – highlight a security and double click – EDIT.

There are two methods within Moneydance for obtaining security prices automatically.

The extension “Quote and Exchange Rate Updater found under EXTENSIONS – MANAGE EXTENSIONS. See https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/investment-accounts/security-...
    For exchange rates use the source European Central Bank. If your securities are in the US try IEX Trading first, if that does not support a security try Alpha Vantage. Alpha Vantage also cover some securities outside the US, but is very, very slow.

If the Quote and exchange rate updater does not work well for you try the free third-party Quote Loader. Both of the sources in the Quote Loader have good coverage of worldwide securities.
    For 2019 see post 145 at https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4039-quo...

It has far wider coverage and is fast.

Download the PDF attached to posts 145 and have a read.
    To get an overview of the Quote Loader take a look at the YouTube video by using the link on page one of the PDF.

Let us know how you get on or if you need help just post.

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by Doug on 26 May, 2019 01:08 PM

Derek thank you for your help, much appreciated.

I understand Moneydance needs to show the transactions of a security even if I no longer own it, but find the 'credit'/'debit' in the portfolio view confusing. Can I delete both entries from the portfolio view? If doing so would affect transaction history (i.e., the "register"), is there a way to hide the fictitious position within the portfolio view?

When I used "BuyXfr" to reflect the correct number of shares, Moneydance used an "InvestmentTradingCommission" account for the counterbalancing account. I have two related questions I hope someone can help with...

1) Is there a way to configure a transaction so there is no counterbalancing account - similar to how Moneydance 'added shares to the account" when first importing QIF data? 2) Is there a way to have selected accounts excluded from net worth calculations as well as being displayed by Moneydance? The thinking behind #2 is I want to know my financial situation if I can't get rid of accounts/actions used when creating 'balance' entries

Thanks again.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac