Trial version crashes on launch

Chris Catalano

21 Dec, 2019 03:25 PM

Hello,

I just downloaded the current version of MoneyDance for Mac OS. I'm using a MacBook Pro running OS 10.11.2. The application crashes immediately when trying to launch it. Here is the beginning of the crash report:

Process: Moneydance [878]
Path: /Applications/Moneydance.app/Contents/MacOS/Moneydance
Identifier: com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX
Version: 2019.3 (1880)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Moneydance [878]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2019-12-21 10:22:13.209 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11.2 (15C50)
Report Version: 11
Anonymous UUID: 67C3ED24-81C1-4CF5-A061-0F6546B0A2F7

Time Awake Since Boot: 5900 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 5

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (Code Signature Invalid)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000032, 0x000000010070a000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

kernel messages:
-0 sec CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page(0x10070a000): p=878[Moneydance] final status 0x3000200, denying page sending SIGKILL
-0 sec CODE SIGNING: process 878[Moneydance]: rejecting invalid page at address 0x10070a000 from offset 0x0 in file "/Applications/Moneydance.app/Contents/PlugIns/vm.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/server/libjvm.dylib" (cs_mtime:1560527499.0 == mtime:1560527499.0) (signed:1 validated:1 tainted:1 wpmapped:0 slid:0)

1. 1 Posted by Chris Catalano on 21 Dec, 2019 04:31 PM

I updated to Mac OS 10.11.6 and was able to open the app. Now I’m trying to work through a QIF IMPORT OF 31,000 transactions.

2. 2 Posted by derekkent23 on 21 Dec, 2019 06:34 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Chris.

Make sure you are running this build of Moneydance https://infinitekind.com/preview

You need to use Quicken to export your data in a QIF file type. Ensure any closed account that have transfers to any open accounts are included in the QIF file, re-open these accounts if necessary.

Open the QIF file in a text editor. You are looking for the date format used in the file e.g. D25/03'2019 Day Month Year or D5/ 17'19 or D05/31/2017 Month Day Year etc. You will need this information later. If you get this wrong it will be apparent as the dates in Moneydance will be all over the place and you will need to start again creating a new data set.

QIF files were never meant for transferring data from one program to another, but it’s all that is available, you will need to spend time cleaning thing up when import is complete.

When you first start Moneydance it opens in the Welcome window click on “Create a new account set”. If you have opened Moneydance before create a new data set under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – NEW.

Select “Create New File” (Data Set) and click NEXT. Type in an Account Set Name (Data Set) and click NEXT. Change Primary Currency (base currency), if required. File Type, leave at “Standard Account set”, click FINISH.

In the side bar (list on left) under BANK deleted the two default Bank accounts, highlighting them in turn and using ACCOUNT – DELETE ACCOUNT.

NOTE: If you have accounts with currencies that are not in your base currency (foreign currencies) perform the steps under NOTE 1 before importing your QIF file as follows.

Drag and dropped the QIF file into the side bar (list on left).
    Waited for import window to appear, this can take a few minutes.

IMPORTANT: Checked all listed accounts are of the correct type and currency and changed if required.

The “Date Format” should be set to the date format used in the QIF file not the date format you want to use in Moneydance. Select the correct Decimal Character.

Click import and waited to account values to file in, again this can take some time, it may appear nothings happening.
    Some accounts maybe hidden under the “+” at the bottom of the side bar, added them back.

Some QIF files don’t include initial account balances. If you think this is the case you can add initial balance to affected accounts as follows.
    Highlighting an account, then click ACCOUNT – EDIT ACCOUNT and add an Initial Balance.

For investment accounts QIF file don’t always carry security prices other than buy sell prices, so investment account balances maybe wrong until you update with current security prices.

Reminder are not included in QIF files.

Any accounts that are inactive (closed) should be made inactive by highlighting the account in the side bar and clicking ACCOUNT – EDIT ACCOUNT and ticking the inactive box. To remove them from the side bar, right click and select REMOVE FROM SIDE BAR.

Now the real work starts to check balances and tidy thing up. This is especially true of investment accounts as not all action types are supported. But worth it in the end.

For information on how to use Moneydance see https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb

Note 1: This section only applies if you have accounts with currencies that are not in your base currency. Ensure “Show on summary page” box is ticked under TOOLS – CURRENCIES – highlight subject currency and double click – EDIT. Note: QIF file do not contain exchange rates. To overcome this QIF file shortcoming the Currency/Security History window must have current and dated exchange rates filled in which cover the date range of transactions in non-base currency account. As well as manually adding exchange rates you can import CSV exchange rate files downloaded from sites on the web. Use IMPORT button in the Currency/Security History window. If you have investment account their balances will probably be incorrect. This is due to the fact that the currency set in the security history windows will be in the Moneydance base currency. You can change to the correct security currency and provided exchange rates exist the values will be converted. As you do this re-calculation occurs, but I think the results should to be correct. No guarantees the section will work correctly.

Hope this helps.

3. 3 Posted by catalano2 on 21 Dec, 2019 10:35 PM

Hello derekkent23,

Thank you for the very detailed response. I had already begun the process, but I had selected “Import new account set” from the welcome screen which prompts for the QIF file. The strange thing that occurred is that during the import many credit card and investment accounts were duplicated under the Bank Account section but had an ‘x’ placed after it. So for example, in the investments section I have accounts for Schwab, Fidelity and Prudential. And in the Bank Accounts section I have Schwabx , Fidelityx and Prudentialx. It was similar with some credit card accounts. This seems like an import problem. I will retry the process but this time I will try ‘Create a new account set’. On Saturday, December 21, 2019, 1:34:10 PM EST, derekkent23 <[email blocked]> wrote:

#yiv7538453721 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv7538453721 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}
    |

4. 4 Posted by dtd on 22 Dec, 2019 04:24 AM

user here.

The ACCOUNTX accounts are usually created because your ACCOUNT had transactions where the category was the account itself. Quicken allows this, and you basically "write off" or "add" magic money to that account. Moneydance doesn't like that, so creates an ACCOUNTX to be the "location" of that magic money.

This happened to me on accounts where I "depreciated" an asset by doing this. Moneydance happily said - hey' here is that money by creating an X account. I personally fixed this by creating a new Depreciation category, or in cases of 0.00, created a category called Notes.

Hope that helps some.

5. 5 Posted by Chris Catalano on 22 Dec, 2019 03:46 PM

Hello dantdavis,

Thanks for the followup. I did just read a really long thread that discusses that problem and understand it more fully now. I'm trying to move 30 years of data from Quicken 2007 so I know it's not going to be easy. I've had numerous brokerage accounts over the years and that's going to create a lot of "X" accounts. I'm also trialing MoneySpire and Banktivity FWIW.

6. 6 Posted by dtd on 22 Dec, 2019 06:16 PM

One thing you can do about X accounts is simply to hide them and remove them from the net worth calculations. Since Quicken never did anything with that data (it sort of dismissed it), you could just hide all X accounts and assign them to history. That would probably be the easiest solution for that part of the conversion issues.

The thread you read may have been mine (Vicissitudes), so you probably know I didn't want to follow the easy methods. I should probably write a better summary than I did in that thread, because I now think I may understand the "easy" way to make many things at least work, the moderate way to get by on things that are wrong, and the hard way to make everything "just right" (sort of the reverse papa bear/mama bear/baby bear methods).

My first transaction entry in Quicken is 1/1/85. Sounds like yours is similar.

I've had people ask why I even care about data so old.
    I realized after converting everything that, if nothing else, it's a diary of sorts.

7. 7 Posted by catalano2 on 22 Dec, 2019 09:02 PM

I may give it another try using the “Create new data set” method as opposed to the “Import” method I did just to see if there is any difference. Then I have to try some of the extensions that would hopefully give me back some of the missing Quicken functionality. Did you evaluate any other alternative software before deciding on Moneydance? On Sunday, December 22, 2019, 1:16:16 PM EST, dantdavis <[email blocked]> wrote:

#yiv7657698260 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv7657698260 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}
    |

8. 8 Posted by dtd on 22 Dec, 2019 11:00 PM

My experience with "create new data set" as opposed to "import" was that they were virtually identical, with the one exception being create new data set had items missing on the sidebar that had to be added back in by hand, wheres import exposed them all.

As I was doing a lot of analysis on "what happened" when I'd change things in quicken and then re-import (I'd sometimes do 10 imports a day during my analysis), I found bringing up the import window (under windows/Gettting Started with Moneydance, then setting When Starting (Open this window) to be MY best bet, as I'd create a qif file then import (again and again). My only concern was waiting the 5-10 minutes on each import with no progress bar (mac version), but hey that's what sipping wine is for.

I evaluated a few other alternatives - my major criteria were:
    1) privacy of data vs. in cloud/web
    2) accuracy of QIF import
    3) automatic downloading of data
    4) ability to share data with spouse (like with dropbox)
    5) single purchase vs. yearly/monthly
    6) similarity to Quicken for ease of transition
    7) proper handling of bank/credit/investments
    8) portability of data/multi-platform
    9) handling of american tax issues

I felt that Moneydance did the best overall, although there were some misses by each and every package (including Quicken).

9. 9 Posted by dtd on 22 Dec, 2019 11:06 PM

Wehn you give it another try, do these two things (that aren't instant, but will go much quicker than what I did:

1) Hide and make inactive all ACCOUNTX accounts.
    2) check your current cash balances for each account, and for those that don't match, set the initial value for each account to the difference between what Quicken says vs. Moneydance (if there is already an initial value - of course add/subtract that in - i.e. make the current cash values match).

Your initial entry values and the ongoing cash balances for these accounts will be absolutely wonky, but better that than seeing a -$$$ net value. Some can live with wonky cash balances in history, but correct going forward (I couldn't).

If after these two steps, things look at least somewhat logical - you are probably well on your way to getting something you can live with.

10. 10 Posted by catalano2 on 23 Dec, 2019 01:50 AM

Thanks again for the follow up. I’m going to sit down tomorrow and go through this again. I think my needs are similar to yours, although I’m not overly concerned with downloading transactions from my bank/credit card companies. I prefer to manually enter/reconcile those accounts. But stock quote downloads are a must. I’m really hoping that this or one of the two other solutions I’m looking at will finally give me enough confidence to leave Quicken 2007 in the past.
         On Sunday, December 22, 2019, 6:06:40 PM EST, dantdavis <[email blocked]> wrote:

#yiv1674716836 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv1674716836 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}
    |

11. 11 Posted by dwg on 23 Dec, 2019 02:01 AM

I'm a fellow user.

For Downloading Quotes in Moneydance I would suggest you look at the user created Quote Loader:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4039-quote-loader-securitycurrency-price-loader-for-moneydance-2019/page/7#comment_47493595

It is a flexible solution with a good range of options and uses some good sources, being user written it is not subject to some restrictions like a corporate solution is.

12. System closed this discussion on 23 Mar, 2020 02:10 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac