all q17 inv txns that also xfer import wrong

fleur

10 Jan, 2020 03:54 PM

Hello,

I'm opening a new discussion after 20 min of searching and clicking on links that don't exist anymore, and I can't see a way to sort search results by date, and I'm getting frustrated.

I'm trying to switch a close to 30yo Quicken 2017 file to Moneydance and it's not easy. I discovered this reddit post that states that Moneydance doesn't handle account transfers to the same account properly, which was my problem also for extra accounts with an X appended to their name being created on import. (https://www.reddit.com/r/quicken/comments/ejnnp9/diary_of_switching_to_moneydance/)

I now think that a large chunk of the rest of the import problems are with any Quicken investment txn type that transfers in addition to whatever else it's doing. For example, I have a lot of regular investments from bank accounts to investment accounts, which show up as the type 'BoughtX'. This is not the only *X type that imports incorrectly. I haven't verified each type, only two, but it looks like any transaction that has the option to either use/deposit cash from the investment account or choose another account, is importing incorrectly (example screenshot attached).

I verified this with some transactions by splitting them into two transactions, one that transfers the cash only and one that does the investment transaction in Quicken and reimporting. It fails whether the transaction is getting cash from a different account or putting cash into a different account.

Is this a known issue? Is there a timeline for a fix?

thanks,
fleur

1. 1 Posted by fleur on 10 Jan, 2020 03:57 PM

To be specific, this is US Quicken 2017 running on Windows.

2. 2 Posted by jkosa on 12 Feb, 2020 06:02 PM

I'm a new user also switching from Quicken 2017 to MD. I found your post while searching for a different issue (build up of txn files in the out folder) and thought I'd bump it up by replying.

Based on my limited experience and others with more time spent, there are lots of challenges with importing Investment transactions from quicken; I'm still slogging thru to figure them all out. Also I'm pretty sure that investment accounts do not support matching xans when you download from your bank. Once I get converted over, which will be time consuming to fix some things like you mention above, I think it will work ok because I rarely enter my own xans into the register - at this point.

Sorry I can't be more help - except that maybe others will chime in to help. Jaimi

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 12 Feb, 2020 08:56 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The problem with transferring money from the same account is that it is an illegal accounting transaction, you cannot just create money which is what such a transaction is doing, Quicken is being "creative" in taking such an approach. Moneydance has no idea where it should draw the money from so creates an account with an X appended to provide a source.

A BoughtX with funds coming from a bank account should work. If you could provide a QIF file - even a cut down one - that demonstrates the problem it could help to identify the cause of the problem.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

17 Feb, 2020 05:15 PM
17 Feb, 2020 05:04 PM
17 Feb, 2020 04:21 PM