downloading bank transactions

Lori

22 Jan, 2020 10:45 PM

I'm thinking of switching from Quicken to Moneydance but I bank with BMO in Canada. Does Moneydance support downloading from Canadian banks?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 23 Jan, 2020 02:26 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Moneydance supports automatic downloading using the OFX protocol. Alas this is generally only supported by a subset of US Banks.

The list of institutions known to support this and that Moneydance has connection information for is located at:

https://infinitekind.com/fi

Some Institutions in North America support Web Connect and by extension Express Web Connect but this is a Quicken proprietary solution, so this effectively locks you into Quicken or a product licensed by them.

Pretty much globally Banks support the download of transaction files from their Internet Banks sites and Moneydance supports importing all of the common formats including, OFX, QFX, QIF, It is even possible to import many types of CSV files.

For Information you can download and try Moneydance in Trial mode this is fully functional in importing of data so can be tried out to see if it suits your needs.

2. 2 Posted by Lori Janzen-Wil... on 23 Jan, 2020 02:34 AM

Thanks dwg,

Yeah unfortunately my bank is not on the list, but I figured out I have to use a multi step process to export data as an OFX file from the bank to a file on my computer, and then from that file to Moneydance. A bit clunky but it works, and I’ll just do it once a month.

What I’m struggling with now is setting up accounts/ parent accounts but I think I’ll start a new thread for that.

Lori

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 23 Jan, 2020 02:59 AM

As that is a completely different topic I would suggest a new thread, keeping a thread to one subject seems to work better.

4. Maddy closed this discussion on 23 Jan, 2020 10:34 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac