Imported quicken data added new unnamed catedgory

Bob

21 Mar, 2016 02:49 PM

I'm at wit's end trying to import data from quicken 2010 to MD2015. I've downloaded all my 3 data files in to single qif file from an old computer on a thumb drive for upload to a new windows 7 computer with MD2015 installed. I'm 3 data files appear to be properly loaded. In the summary section, each file has the correct individual total but there is a new unnamed data file. The entries appear to be errant entries from one of my 3 data files (joint checking) and most of the entries have a green dot. Can you advise how to handle the unnamed data file? I have been working for hours trying to properly transfer the quicken data to MD. Thanks. Bob

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jenny on 23 Mar, 2016 04:09 PM

Hi Bob,

Can you confirm you followed the steps in this article when exporting your data from Quicken and importing to Moneydance. Its important that you select "Import To: New Account" and "File Source: From Another Program" when the import window opens.

A green dot on the register signifies that the transaction has been cleared. You can clear a transaction by right clicking and selecting 'Mark as Cleared', or during the Reconcile process. The transactions will not have imported as 'Cleared' so this must have been done since the import.

Can you confirm if you have imported 3 seperate data sets, or one data set with 3 accounts? I believe the 'Unnamed data file' you're referring to is an account. If this is the case, and it contains transactions you'd like to move to other Accounts, you can select the relevant transactions, and select Batch Change --> Account, to move them. You can delete an account by highlighting it in the sidebar, and selecting Account --> Delete Account, which will remove the account and any transactions within it.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Bob on 23 Mar, 2016 11:39 PM

Hi, Jenny. I believe I followed the instructions correctly. I don't know how to confirm this otherwise except to delete everything and try again.

Regarding the green dots, the green dot transactions were in deed imported from Quicken in MD as "cleared." I did not clear them after the import because I don't know how to do that..

Can I confirm if I have imported 3 separate data sets, or one data set with 3 accounts? Not sure how to answer this. In Quicken, I have 3 bank accounts: joint savings, joint checking, and credit union. I have no other accounts. I don't understand the difference between data sets and accounts. The entries in the unnamed account appear to be errant entries from my joint checking account. MD has assigned the errant entries in the unnamed account with a category tag called joint checking. It has changed many of these errant entries from a debit to a deposit. For example, a cash ATM withdrawal is shown as a deposit.

I hope all this gives leads to an easy fix. I purchased MD four days ago, spent many hours trying to set it up and just can't seem to make it work. MD seems very complicated to me and maybe it's my lack of technical expertise, but if we can't make find a speedy solution, I'll have to ask for a refund and move on. Any help you can provide would be most appreciated. Thanks. Bob

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 24 Mar, 2016 05:51 AM

Bob,

I'll have a go at trying to explain the concept of data set.

In Quicken you could have created something called Bobs_Finances to hold your Quicken data. now, from memory, Quicken used to have 4 files, one had a QDF extension another a .INI extension and I do not recall the others. You probably select the .QDF file if you want t open the data, however all 4 of these files together comprise the data set. In MoneyDance many files comprise the Data Set, but the equivalent to what is in Quicken as "Bobs_Finances" in MoneyDance is represented by a directory called "Bobs_Finances and all the directories, sub-directories and files underneath this directory represent the data set. So a data set in general terms is a collection of files and directories in a defined structure.

So Jenny is asking did all the accounts come from the one set of Quicken files or did they come from 3 different sets of Quicken files.

While many concepts in Moneydance are equivalent to Quicken quite a different approach is taken to doing things at times, so it is important to not expect things to work the same..

Quicken can be quite creative in how it does things at times, and that includes the QIF files it creates, it doesn't help that the QIF specification is incomplete at best.

Creating another account on import can sometimes be a result of an errant category that has not been created, I would suggest as a starting point looking at the transactions in Quicken that ends up in the unnamed account and see if there is anything common about them, that may give us a starting point for a resolution.

I'm afraid that migrating from Quicken to any other software is likely to require some work, Quicken do not make it easy, and depending on version they seem to try to make it impossible.

Des

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Jenny on 24 Mar, 2016 11:49 AM

Hi Bob,

I think Des has done a much better job at explaining this than me! Apologies for any confusion. There are a couple of things I'd like you to clarify, and I'll try to explain as much as I can.

From what you've described, I believe you're created one data set containing 3 accounts. When you imported from Quicken, did you export all Quicken data into a single QIF file? Doing so makes the import process much smoother. You should use the option in Quicken to export "all accounts," if this is available to you.
    The one exception to this is if you have accounts in more than one currency. If this is the case, you should follow these steps which details if you have exported multiple QIF files, one for each account.

If you'd like to remove the current data and start the import again, you can create a new data set within Moneydance, File --> New. You can move between data sets in the File --> Open menu.

If you'd like to remove a data set, you can follow these steps. If you to go Help --> Show Documents Folder, this will take you to the default location of your data. Your data set will be shown as a yourfilename.moneydance file.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by Bob on 24 Mar, 2016 10:21 PM

Des and Jenny, thanks for your help. As suggested, I reviewed my data and found that the unnamed file was populated with entries that had no category in my source Quicken database. I went back into Quicken and added a category to every entry. I deleted the old imported account from MD and then downloaded the updated Quicken data into a single QIF file. I selected "all accounts," "Import To: New Account," and "File Source: From Another Program." I have used no currencies except USD. With this download, I still get my four accounts: unnamed, joint savings, joint checking, and credit union. The entries in the unnamed file are reduced to three entries with some erroneous information. The joint savings file shows a huge negative balance. The joint checking file appears to be correct. The credit union file shows an incorrect 0.00 balance.

Folks, it's not working for me. I have to move on. Despite our mutual best efforts, and perhaps my lack of technical expertise, it appears MD is not the software for me. I so wanted to find a Quicken alternative. So I guess I'm one of those who must ask for a refund. I purchased MD from your site. Thanks for all your help. Bob

6. 6 Posted by Bob on 28 Mar, 2016 08:11 PM

It's been nearly four days since I've last heard from MD regarding my technical problems. Please initiate a refund of my purchase price and advise me accordingly. I purchased MD from your website. Thank you for past efforts and good luck in the future. Bob

7. 7 Posted by Ben Spencer on 28 Mar, 2016 08:26 PM

I am sorry that our product did not meet your needs. I have asked our payment processing partners BMT Micro to process your refund. They will let you know when the process is complete from their end.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance, and thank you for your interest in Moneydance.

Ben Spencer
    Infinite Kind Support

8. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 28 Mar, 2016 08:26 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac