Files

gordon.dow

26 Sep, 2020 03:15 PM

I'm in the process of moving from MS Money to Moneydance on an iMac.

I've managed to transfer most of the accounts but I've got in a bit of pickle by opening two different Files - so under the File menu on the top of the screen, under Open I've got a choice of Finances & Personal Finances.

I just want one of these Files (or are they Accounts?) so how do I delete one without unintentionally damaging the other?

Regards,

Gordon.

Showing page 3 out of 3. View the first page

1. 61 Posted by derekkent23 on 16 Oct, 2020 03:20 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Gordon.

Exactly.
    Moneydance follows accounting rules.
    Within a transaction money can neither appear or disappear from nowhere, that’s called fraud.

Hope this helps.

2. 62 Posted by gordon.dow on 17 Oct, 2020 07:55 AM

OK thanks Derek, that explains why I'll always have large imbalances when importing to MD from MS Money.

Regards,

Gordon.

3. 63 Posted by gordon.dow on 01 Dec, 2020 03:03 PM

Derek - if you're still there, I've decided to try to work with MD and have got everything imported. What I want do now is make things look a lot more attractive.

In your post here on 6th October at 16:45, you showed two screens shots -

1. a register - where can I learn how to smarten things up like that?
    2. a credit card - how you delete the blank line between each transaction?

I have looked but can't see where the help is.

Regards,

Gordon.

4. 64 Posted by derekkent23 on 01 Dec, 2020 04:54 PM

Hi Gordan

The easy one first. In each register you can set Single or Two Line Mode. Highlight a Transaction and right click and make a selection.
    Moneydance comes with a number of pre-set themes under FILES (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – PREFERENCES – THEME dropdown. After changing a theme, you have to restart Moneydance before the change takes effect. In my case I selected the Theme that I liked the best then using the CUSTOMIZE button went about changing different elements of the display. The colour of almost everything can be changed. However, it’s easy to get in a mess as there is no undo. There is a file called “custom_theme.properties” that holds the changes you make. My approach was to copy this file, make a change make another copy of the file at each change so if things went wrong, I could reinstate the last copy. Deleting the file take you back to the default theme. Not for the faint hearted.
    There is nothing secret in this file so I can post a copy if you want and you can try it.
    I am a Windows and Linux user so don’t know the location of the file on a Mac.

Hope this helps.

5. 65 Posted by gordon.dow on 02 Dec, 2020 09:16 AM

OK, thanks again Derek. As you said, first change was easy.

Yes, I'd played around with different colours for areas on MD but hadn't managed to get such a neat layout as you obviously have. Will investigate your suggestion.

Annoyingly I can't see under the User Guide area any help on this.

Cheers,

Gordon.

6. 66 Posted by derekkent23 on 02 Dec, 2020 09:47 AM

Hi Gordan

Yes, the article on themes customization is poor. https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/customizing-and-preferences/t...

The offer to post my theme file still stands. The “custom_theme.properties” file set the colours, it does not affect the layout. The Layout section of the Summary Page is set under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – PREFERENCES – SUMMARY PAGE tab.

Have Fun, Stay Safe.

7. 67 Posted by gordon.dow on 02 Dec, 2020 05:15 PM

Thanks again Derek, I'm happy playing about with the colours but I'd missed the Summary Page tab, thanks.

Regards,

Gordon.

8. Melissa closed this discussion on 03 Dec, 2020 02:46 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac