Files

gordon.dow

26 Sep, 2020 03:15 PM

I'm in the process of moving from MS Money to Moneydance on an iMac.

I've managed to transfer most of the accounts but I've got in a bit of pickle by opening two different Files - so under the File menu on the top of the screen, under Open I've got a choice of Finances & Personal Finances.

I just want one of these Files (or are they Accounts?) so how do I delete one without unintentionally damaging the other?

Regards,

Gordon.

Showing page 2 out of 3. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by -Kevin N. on 03 Oct, 2020 05:06 PM

Hi Gordon,

Let us know how it all turns out. OK?

It was my experience that I still needed to do some cleanup afterwards. Some of which was due to my own fudging that I did in MS Money.

As you've learned, you will need to manually apply stock splits. You may or may not need to enter or edit the 'Initial Balance' for bank-type accounts and / or the 'Initial Debt' for credit card accounts.

To this day, I still keep a MS Money data file up to date. There is a free app called Pocketsense that allows MS Money users to acquire stock prices from Yahoo Finance and for us here in the US, it allows for direct-connect to download transactional data from those financial institutions that provide such services.

For me, keeping both MS Money and Moneydance current provides an additional check to the validity of my balances.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. 32 Posted by gordon.dow on 04 Oct, 2020 03:35 PM

We're getting there Kevin, thanks! I'm having to fudge some of my old, closed accounts but that's OK.

What I hadn't realised until today is that MD is a double-entry system, whereas MS Money is single-entry. Although I'm a qualified accountant (retired) I didn't want a double-entry package, MS Money is just so simple. Not to worry, my greater need is to have something directly on my Mac rather than on Windows via VirtualBox which is a bit of a pain.

Thanks again,

Gordon.

3. 33 Posted by gordon.dow on 06 Oct, 2020 01:15 PM

Well I thought I'd finally got things sorted. I eventually had to stuff a lot of the accounts with dummy entries because every time I balanced one account, I would find that one which had been balanced was then out of balance - I think because of transfers between accounts, including in MS Money some transfers which no longer had the contra entry.

So in the summary view, I now only had accounts which were active and which had the correct balances. I went to print off a report only to find that many accounts had incorrect balances - then I found that these corresponded with the balances shown in the centre pane of the summary page. Why does MD show two lists of balances, often different for the same account? Grateful if someone could explain.

I also have to say that MD is very unattractive to look at compared to MS Money - they clearly didn't spend any money on making it look good!

Grateful for help once more.

Regards,

Gordon.

4. 34 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 Oct, 2020 01:34 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Gordon

The Side Bar and Summary page can be set to show different types of balances.

Set side bar balance type under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – PREFERENCE – dropdown SIDE BAR BALANCE TYPE.

On Summary page above the values for each account type is a dropdown, set the preferred account balance type using that.

Note in an account register you can click on the underlined Balance, bottom right, to see the different balance type values.

Hope this helps.

5. 35 Posted by gordon.dow on 06 Oct, 2020 02:19 PM

Thanks Derek but I still don't understand several things.

1. Why would anyone want a summary page to show two columns of balances, often for the same accounts?

2. What's the difference between Balance and Current Balance?

3. Why does the middle column of accounts show balances for accounts which I'd already spent much effort getting to zero by putting in dummy transactions?

On another issue, in MS Money each account is set out clearly with separate columns for debits & credits. MD seems to have all the monetary amounts in the same column which I find hugely confusing. Is is possible to alter the set up to show a column for debits and another column for credits?

Regards,

Gordon.

6. 36 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 Oct, 2020 03:45 PM

Hi Gordan

See the screen shot of a fictitious data set illustrating the Side Bare and Summery page.

In the Side Bar I have grouped accounts under Current Accounts, Saving Accounts. Under Saving Accounts, I have further groups accounts under Instant Access Accounts, Notice Accounts and Regular Saving. Each account group is automatically totalled. The type of total is set under File (MONEYDANCE on Mac) - PREFERENCES. In the Side Bar clicking say on the down arrow next to BANK hide all the Bank type accounts.

You can change the layout of the Summary page under File (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – Summary Page.

In the Bank account section on the Summary page accounts are again grouped. These groups can be expanded or contracted by clicking +/-

Your points
    1. I don’t see a way on the Summary page to show two columns of balances, often for the same accounts. It’s true if you include Bank on the summary page the data on the Side Bar is repeated. You have the option to leave Banks off of the summary page or hide the Side Bar under VIEW.
    2. Balance type Balance is the balance of an account including any transaction in the future. Balance type Current Balance is the balance as of today’s date.
    3. Not sure what you mean by this. You can hide account in the Side Bar by Right clicking a highlighted account. You can hide accounts in the Summary page by highlighting an account in the side Bar clicking ACCOUNT – EDIT ACCOUNT and ticking INACTIVE. If this is not the issue perhaps post a screen shot.

I run MS Money in parallel to Moneydance so understand its layout. Your last point “in MS Money each account is set out clearly with separate columns for debits & credits. MD seems to have all the monetary amounts in the same column which I find hugely confusing. Is i possible to alter the set up to show a column for debits and another column for credits?"

See the second screen shot of a Credit Card Account register which as you can see the last three columns are separate CHARGE, PAYMENT and BALANCE. The same is true of Bank type accounts. If the is not what you are seeing post a screen shot.

Hope this helps.

7. 37 Posted by gordon.dow on 06 Oct, 2020 04:29 PM

Crikey Derek, hugely appreciated!

1. When I talk about the Summary Page I mean that whole page in your first screen shot, so there I can see you too have the same accounts in the left hand and middle columns. I think by summary page you mean the middle column? I don't understand why there are the two.

2. How do you manage to make the page look much more attractive? You say "You can change the layout of the Summary page under File (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – Summary Page." but I don't have a Summary Page option under File.

3. Where do I go find out how to work all these things, Knowledge Base didn't seem much help.

4. Re your credit card a/c, yes that's what I'd like for my bank & investment accounts; how do I change them?

I've attached a couple of my screenshots, one bank and one investment.

Thanks again,

Gordon.

8. 38 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 Oct, 2020 05:27 PM

Hi Gordon

1. My first screen shot is not the summary page alone. In Moneydance terms my screen shot is made up of two elements the Side Bar, list on left, which you can hide under VIEW if you want and Summary page, the two columns to the right of the side bar.
    2. Specify the bit you want to make more like my theme and I will see if I can help. Sorry a typo should have read “You can change the layout of the Summary page under File (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – PREFERENCES – SUMMARY PAGE.”
    3. The only info available on the site is the Knowledge Base. For example, customizing-and-preferences at https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/customizing-and-preferences
    4. In your Bank account screen shot I see three columns, PAYMENT, DEPOSIT, BALANCE which is correct and more applicable than the heading used for Credit Cards CHARGE, PAYMENT and BALANCE. What do you think is missing? In your Investment account screen shot you have the Register tab selected in which CHARGE, PAYMENT and BALANCE are quite rightly replaced by SHARES/PRICE, AMOUNT/FEE and CASH BALANCE.

Hope this helps

9. 39 Posted by -Kevin N. on 06 Oct, 2020 05:32 PM

Hi Gordon,

I see that Derek has been helping. He's a good egg. : )

The left side bar is used primarily as a means of navigating between your various accounts and / or graphs and reports.
    If you wish to hide the left side bar, use the 'View' menu on the Moneydance menu bar or use key-combo CTRL-SHIFT-S
    https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/register-and-transactions/men...

To customize the arrangement of items on the Summary Page, go to File > Preferences.
    On the resulting form, click the 'Summary Page' tab.
    Here you can arrange the various items of the Summary Page to the left or right and up or down.
    https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/customizing-and-preferences/s...

To customize the overall look of the program, again, go to File > Preferences.
    On the 'General' tab, look to the 'Theme' option.
    Here you can select a pre-set theme or click the 'Customize' button.
    The 'Customize' button will open a new window with various color palette selections for many different aspects of the program.
    You'll need to restart Moneydance for the changes to take effect.
    https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/customizing-and-preferences/t...

10. 40 Posted by gordon.dow on 06 Oct, 2020 06:27 PM

OK Kevin, thanks for those pointers, very helpful.

Derek -

1. Ah OK, I now understand that for you the summary page excludes the first column. I think therefore for me, as I find two account columns confusing, I can just hide that column. But sorry, again, what should I see as the "main" account column, the left one or the middle one? I had been working on the left one in order to import from & reconcile with my accounts in Money but then I found when I ran a report that it was using the accounts in the middle column & they were now showing balances when they should have all been zero. Very confusing.

2. OK, understood now. I need to be able to work the themes out for myself!

3. OK.

4. Re the bank page, yes there are the two columns but I find the debit one confusing as it also includes any rates. And the investment page I find very cluttered with again two items for each column under payment & deposit. But I guess I'll get used to it.

11. 41 Posted by -Kevin N. on 06 Oct, 2020 07:13 PM

Hi Gordon,

Perhaps for your bank and credit card accounts you may prefer Single Line Mode.

For those accounts, CTRL-click any transaction.
    From the resulting context menu, select 'Single Line Mode'.

This is not an option for the investment account register.

12. 42 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 Oct, 2020 07:36 PM

Hi Gordon

1. The terms I use are the ones used by Moneydance. If were all use the same terms its easier to communicate. If you have set up the balance types the same on the Side Bar and the Account area on the Summary page then the value in both are exactly the same. I have click on the + proceeding the accounts on the Account area of the Summary page so you can verify they are the same when you set thing up to show the same balance types, in the screen shot Current Balance. Some people like to set Current Balance in one section and Current in the other. Others like to hide the Side Bare, others exclude the Bank areas from the Summary page. Its flexible, it up to you.
      The accounts included in a report are the ones ticked under EDIT in the report. The other setting under EDIT determine what the report shows. If you are seeing conflicting data you need to post screen shots of the report the settings under EDIT and the areas they conflict with the balance types you have selected so other can comment.
    2. In a register you can work in Single Line Mode or Two Line Mode. Highlight a transaction and right click and select the mode you prefer. In an investment account register there are no column payment & deposit? In the Bank account register Rates are only included if the category of a transaction is in a non-base currency. Rate is the exchange rate used in the transaction. The second screen shot is of a register in the two line mode were all transactions are in the base currency, hence no Rate value. Read the following notes on foreign currency transactions it may help.

Assuming you want to enter foreign currency transactions into a base currency account.
    You need first to set up categories in the foreign currency. TOOL – CATEGORIES – NEW. Remember to change the CURRENCY TYPE using the dropdown when you set up a non-base category to the required currency. As you can see you can end up with categories with similar names which need to be differentiated by currency.
    Now when you want to enter a transaction for a category in that foreign currency select the appropriate category.
    e.g.
    Holiday:Travel - (GBP) -------- base currency
    Holiday:Travel – (US Dollars)-------------- foreign currency
    Holiday:Travel – (Euro)---------- foreign currency
    When a non-base currency category is selected you will now notice that the Rate and Foreign Amt fields are open for you to use when you select a category created for use with a foreign currency.
    Assuming that the exchange rate for the foreign currency is available under TOOLS – CURRENCIES the RATE value will fill in. Enter the Payment or Deposit amount (for credit cards Charge or Payment) in the base currency and the Foreign amount will fill in. You can change the Rate if required. Instead you can enter the Payment or Deposit amount (for credit cards Charge or Payment) in the base currency and the Foreign amount and the Rate will change accordingly. You can’t enter the Foreign Amt as there is only one field so you are not able to define it as a Payment or Deposit amount (for credit cards Charge or Payment).
    Splits will also handle a mix of base and foreign currency transactions.
    You can also set up foreign currency accounts. Again, for this to work currency exchange rates under TOOLS - CURRENCIES must be present.
    You can use the extension “Quote and Exchange Rate Updater” or “Quote Loader” to automatically update exchange rates.

Hope this helps

13. 43 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 Oct, 2020 07:38 PM

14. 44 Posted by gordon.dow on 06 Oct, 2020 08:27 PM

Thanks Derek. I won’t be using MD for my credit cards but what do you mean by a register?

In Money, when I run a report, the balances on my Euro bank accounts are converted to GBP based on the exchange rate I’ve entered in Money. Does MD do likewise? I ask because when I ran a report of all my balances it showed my Euro accounts in Euros but still produced a grand total.

Regards,

Gordon.

Gordon Dow
    5 Cedar Gardens
    Woking GU21 7JB
    01483 823529

15. 45 Posted by gordon.dow on 06 Oct, 2020 08:27 PM

Thanks Kevin!

Gordon Dow
    5 Cedar Gardens
    Woking GU21 7JB
    01483 823529

16. 46 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 Oct, 2020 09:35 PM

Hi Gordon

Each account has a register. A register is the area that contains all the transactions for the account. see screen shot.

My last post explained how Moneydance handle foreign currency transactions within a base currency account. You can also set up an account in a foreign current when you set up the account under ACCOUNT – NEW ACCOUNT by using the Currency Type dropdown in the account setup window. In the screen shot I have set up a new account in USD called USD Account. Note In Side Bar the $ sign is used as the account is in US Dollars. In the account Register the transaction using description test 1 has a category Car:Parking which is in the Data Set base currency of British Pounds. Thus, when I enter a Payment of $10 an exchange rate of 0.7699 is automatically filed in taken from the exchange rate for US Dollars under TOOLS – CURRENCIES – US DOLLARS, the Foreign Amt in this case £7.7 is filled in automatically.
    The transaction Test 2 has a Category, Hotel US, which has been set up in US Dollars under TOOLS – CATEGORIES and thus when entered as $100 does not display a Rate or Foreign Amt.

Hope this helps

17. 47 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 Oct, 2020 09:48 PM

Hi Gordon

As for reports see screen shot of Income and Expenses Report for Bank USD Account.

Hope this helps

18. 48 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Oct, 2020 07:55 AM

Hi Gordon

The attached screen shot provide a roundup of foreign currency accounts and foreign currency transactions, plus reports.

Hope this helps.

19. 49 Posted by gordon.dow on 07 Oct, 2020 08:57 AM

Thanks Kevin, I had already set up my Dutch bank accounts as Euro accounts, but just wondered why when I ran a report it gave a total which wasn't clear if the Euro balances had been converted to GBP.

Regards,

Gordon.

20. 50 Posted by gordon.dow on 07 Oct, 2020 09:20 AM

I decided I'd have to start from scratch reimporting accounts from Money because of the differences in the same accounts between the side bar and the summary page.

But I look at the first account. On the side bar, if I open up the investment account, under the portfolio view it shows the correct portfolio & correct cash balance. Under the register tab, it shows the correct cash balance because I had to fudge it to make it so.

But if I then go back to the summary page, ie the middle column of balances, under Bank Accounts, It shows the name of the investment account with a balance which is the same as the amount I had to fudge but dated 01.01.2020!!! Why on earth are the cash balances on investment accounts also included under Banks? And why does this middle column show wrong balances?

I still don't understand what this middle column of accounts (ie the summary page) is for. I've got all the accounts finally sorted out in the side bar and really don't need all the these wrong ones on the summary page.

Also, on the R/H column where it shows a calendar, underneath the calendar are Stock Prices, including many for shares I no longer own. I spent ages yesterday going through each one to click Remove from Summary Page. When I opened MD today, they're all back again!! Obviously I don't want to remove them entirely, I just don't want them on the summary page.

Again, any help would be appreciated!

If only MS Money didn't have problems I'd love to stay with it!

Regards,

Gordon.

21. 51 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Oct, 2020 09:55 AM

Hi Gordon.

I suggest you post screen shots to illustrate the discrepancies you are seeing.
    Example, Summary page Bank Account section does not include dates, please post screen shot.
    On the summary page in the Stock Prices section click on one of the securities you don’t want listed then click EDIT and post a screen shot of the window that opens.

Hope this helps

22. 52 Posted by gordon.dow on 07 Oct, 2020 02:15 PM

Thanks Derek but I'd rather not post screen shots of my info it at all possible. By dates, I meant when I click on the bank account in the summary page, the detail it shows for the balance gives a date of 2010. Anyway I've since deleted it. But the next account in the summary page (a long since closed Fastrade account) shows a large balance made up of several entries but in the side bar I'd already zeroed that balance, made the account inactive and removed it from the side bar.

If I go to the foot of the page and click + then advanced, there are the two boxes Available Items and Included Items.Now this Fastrade a/c appears under Available but not under Included so what does Included mean in this context as it's included in that column on the summary page! I've tried highlighting it and then clicking the <Remove arrow to the right of it but nothing happens.

I can't really do a screen shot of the edit box as there is still my financial info in the background. Please don't worry.

I have managed to enter all my recurring DDs etc but so far that's all!

23. 53 Posted by gordon.dow on 07 Oct, 2020 02:17 PM

Sorry Derek, I forgot to ask again what is the point of having two columns of potentially the same accounts & balances, ie the side bar and the summary page?

24. 54 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Oct, 2020 04:05 PM

Hi Gordon.

Your question “what is the point of having two columns of potentially the same accounts & balances, i.e. the side bar and the summary page?”
    Reread point 1 of post 42 in the discussion, some reasons are covered there.

The “+” at the bottom of the side bar and the two windows under ADVANCED allow you to determine items to be displayed in the Side Bar. The Left window AVAILABLE ITEMS are just that, available to be included in the Side Bar. The Right window INCLUDED ITEMS are just that, items already included in the Side Bar. The setting here have no effect on the Summary page.

To include or remove individual accounts from the Summary Page you must highlight the account in the Side Bar click ACCOUNT – EDIT ACCOUNT and tick or untick its INACTIVE box.

I think for you to make real progress you need to take time out from working on your Moneydance imported QIF data set.
    A lot of your problems are down to you expecting Moneydance to be a clone of MS Money.
    As a user of both MS Money and Moneydance I can say it isn’t.
    My suggestion is you forget how MS Money works, take time to learn the Moneydance way.
    To this end start a new data set FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – NEW ACCOUNT, then:
    1. Set up a number of Bank Type Accounts, ACCOUNTS – NEW. Study the CREATE ACCOUNT windows that opens and make sure you understand each line including things like PARENT ACCOUNT. Set some accounts up in a foreign currency. Add initial Balances to each account so to have money to play with.
    Install Then Extension Quote Loader see post 63 at
    https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4914-the...
    Download the PDF attached to posts 63 and have a read.
    To get an overview take a look at the YouTube videos by using the links on page 1 and 2 of the PDF.
    Use Quote Loader, source Yahoo HD, to obtain the exchange rates you will be using and it will populate the exchange rate history table under TOOLS – CURRENCY - subject currency.
    2. Set up Some new Categories, some in a foreign currency, TOOLS CATEGORIES = “+”
    3. Add a Credit Card account.
    4. Add an Investment Account, include an initial balance.
    5. Look at all the settings under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – PREFERENCES, all its tabs. In the Summary Page tab play around with the layout.
    6. Create some Securities under TOOLS – SECURITIES – “+”
    7. Add the securities to the Investment Account.
    8. Try a Buy transaction of a security.
    9. After you have added transactions to the bank accounts run say an INCOME AND EXPENSES DETAIL report.

In short get to know and understand Moneydance. Look for information on the areas you are working on in the Knowledge Base section.

With this test data set you can share screen shots if you have any questions.

Hope this helps

25. 55 Posted by gordon.dow on 08 Oct, 2020 08:55 AM

Thanks Derek, again much appreciated.

I have managed to clean up the summary page by getting rid of the calendar & the stock prices sections so I'm just left with the two sets of accounts balances. I'm slowly getting the balances to agree with each other by just fudging those on the summary page so that they agree with those on the side bar (the problem ones are mainly old inactive investment accounts with nil balances which don't show up on the side bar but which for some reason still have balances on the summary page).

I really couldn't face setting up a new dataset but we'll see. I enter stock prices and the EUR/GBP rate at the end of each month so we'll see what a report looks like then.

Thanks so much once again for your help and patience.

Regards,

Gordon.

26. 56 Posted by derekkent23 on 08 Oct, 2020 10:20 AM

Hi Gordon

Only if you set the Side Bar (in Preferences) and Summary Page (dropdown in Bank Account section on Summary page) balance types to the same type, for example CURRENT BALANCE, will the values in the Side Bar and Summary page will be the same. If they are not, you are doing something wrong by not understanding how Moneydance works.

You can hide any account in the Summary page, zero balance or not, by ticking its INACTIVE BOX in its Account Info window.

How to do both these things have explained in earlier post in this discussion. Again, if you can’t do this you are doing something wrong by not understanding how Moneydance works.

By not setting up a new simple test data set with a small number of accounts and a small number of transactions you are missing out on learning how Moneydance works rather than making mistakes in your real complex data set which can be hard to fix. Only by spending time finding out how Moneydance really works will you save time sorting out your real data set

Have Fun, Stay Safe.

27. 57 Posted by gordon.dow on 08 Oct, 2020 02:46 PM

Thanks again Derek but I’ve already spent an awful lot of time, with everyone’s help, trying to sort out the issues. I suspect part of the problem is that in Money I have contra entries with accounts which I’ve long ago deleted. In Money that’s not a problem but MD wants to find the contra entries.

Anyway, it’s going forward which matters and if I can at least get an agreed starting position by fudging the opening balances that’s fine by me.

But one thing I’m curious about, why do you still use MS Money as well? One of the main reasons I want to get away from it is the problem which appears to affect a lot of us is the error message about the program already running and then you have to restart Windows. That happens a lot and there doesn’t seem to be a real fix.

Regards,

Gordon.

Gordon Dow
    5 Cedar Gardens
    Woking GU21 7JB
    01483 823529

28. 58 Posted by derekkent23 on 08 Oct, 2020 03:00 PM

Hi Gordon.

I use Moneydance as my main Personal Finance Program with MS Money as a cross check.
    I think Kevin N does the same thing.
    I have never experienced the MS Money issue you talk about.

Have Fun, Stay Safe.

29. 59 Posted by gordon.dow on 09 Oct, 2020 07:33 AM

Thanks Derek, it seems to be a very common problem

http://moneymvps.org/articles/money_already_running.aspx

I’ve tried to sort it many times without success but only this week I came across one fix which recommended, before closing Money, to do a back-up then close Money, but without backing-up. Curiously that seems to be working so if it continues to do so I may not need to use MD at all. But I may bite the bullet & concentrate on MD as it would leave me with only one program on VirtualBox.

Regards, and thanks once again,,

Gordon.

30. 60 Posted by gordon.dow on 16 Oct, 2020 02:45 PM

Hello again. As I swither about MD I'd like to clarify the double-entry aspect of it. In MS Money I have some very old transfers where the account for one side of the transfer has since been deleted. That's no problem in Money but am I right in thinking that in MD, when that's been imported, MD will always be looking for the missing contra entry?

Regards,

Gordon.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac