importing from windows to imac

Penny Michaelides

21 Apr, 2016 09:42 AM

Hi I wonder if you could tell me why my imports from my windows version is not putting in the correct catagorys they all appear to be the first category on my system. Also a lot of the date are incorrect.
your help would be appreciated

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jenny on 21 Apr, 2016 09:44 AM

Hi Penny,

If you're trying to move your data to Moneydance on another system, then you don't need to export and import, you should move the entire data set.

Can you let me know if you are moving the data to a new system (not using old system again), or attempting to share the data between both systems (to be updated and used on both), and I will provide the relevant instructions.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by P Michaelides on 21 Apr, 2016 09:47 AM

can you actually sync between the windows system i am using on my laptop and the iMac version i have just downloaded?

P Michaelides
    [email blocked]

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Jenny on 21 Apr, 2016 09:54 AM

Hi Penny,

Yes, you can sync your data via systems, regardless of the operating system, using Dropbox. You'll need to ensure you're running the same version of Moneydance on both systems, to do this go to Moneydance menu --> About Moneydance.

I believe you previously purchased MD2014, so I would recommend upgrading to MD2015 (which you can do for free), before moving your data. If you enter your license key into the 'Upgrading?' box on this page, which will entitle you to a free upgrade to MD2015, which you can download here.

Once downloaded and installed, you can follow these steps to open your data on the laptop and convert to the new 2015 file format.

Then ensure you've downloaded this same version on the iMac. The latest version is 2015.7, build 1358.

If you'd like to let me know when you've followed these steps, I can then provide instructions for sharing your data.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by P Michaelides on 21 Apr, 2016 10:16 AM

Thanks Jenny
    I have to go now, but will try to get back to you later or tomorrow.
    P Michaelides
    [email blocked]

5. 5 Posted by penmichaelides on 21 Apr, 2016 04:31 PM

Hi Jenny

I have now got both with new software on. Do I need to delete the data I have input on the new imac or will it just overwrite what I have there. Also could you tell me about syncing with an ipad as I am wondering if that is the way I should go?
    Thanks
    Penny

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Jenny on 22 Apr, 2016 08:51 AM

Hi Penny,

If you're running the same updated version on both systems, then you're ready to start sharing your data! You can follow these steps to move your data to your Dropbox folder. You'll need to move the entire data set which is a yourfilename.moneydance file. If your data is stored in the default location, you can access it within Help --> Show Documents Folder. You can then open the data on each system from the Dropbox location, (only on one at a time, to avoid corruption) and your data will sync between the two computers.

Syncing data with a mobile device is slightly different, and you should follow these steps to setup mobile syncing.

Please let me know if you encounter any issues, or need assistance getting setup.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

7. System closed this discussion on 30 Jul, 2016 03:52 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac