desperate to leave Quicken

dmcneilly

22 Apr, 2016 03:45 PM

Tried a year ago to leave Quicken (20 years of history) but importing the entire file did not work well. Lots of inactive accounts but their activity affects active accounts. This time I exported every single account (75+/-) and am importing them individually. Question is, after just a couple of imports, as far as I can tell, the accounts are all in MD but with no activity. Seems strange that MD would be able to pick up all account names.

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 22 Apr, 2016 03:51 PM

The reason you are seeing the other accounts even when you haven't explicitly imported them is because of transfers. Every transfer needs to have a destination account. If that account does not yet exist when the transfer is imported Moneydance will create the destination account.

Ben Spencer
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by dmcneilly on 22 Apr, 2016 04:28 PM

That was fast, thank you, Ben.

I figured that’s what happened but it occurred just after a couple of accounts (Newest count is 90+/-) and it populated nearly the entire list. I did export each account with exactly the same file name it had in Q. So long as we think this is normal, I’m good. I so want this to work.

3. 3 Posted by dmcneilly on 22 Apr, 2016 11:01 PM

Neither tags, nor categories came over. Any way to rectify?

4. 4 Posted by Ben Spencer on 22 Apr, 2016 11:04 PM

When you import a QIF file into Moneydance it is necessary to set the "File Source" option on the QIF import window to "From another program". If you don't set this option category information will not be read from the QIF file.

Ben Spencer
    Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by dmcneilly on 22 Apr, 2016 11:11 PM

So, I have to start all over again? Will tag info come over?

6. 6 Posted by Ben Spencer on 22 Apr, 2016 11:20 PM

Yes tags should come over. To start the process again select File->New...

Ben Spencer
    Infinite Kind Support

7. 7 Posted by dmcneilly on 22 Apr, 2016 11:26 PM

If I reimport will it overwrite or add transactions?

8. 8 Posted by Ben Spencer on 22 Apr, 2016 11:30 PM

You first need to create a new empty dataset with File->New... then import with File->Import...

Ben Spencer
    Infinite Kind Support

9. 9 Posted by dmcneilly on 22 Apr, 2016 11:38 PM

Thank you so much. That will be easier than merging transactions as I just discovered that is the other option. I really hope to buy once I’m sure all works for me.

10. 10 Posted by dmcneilly on 27 Apr, 2016 03:08 PM

Thanks for your help, Ben,
    I’m going to take advantage of you. I have a new dataset and am importing accounts, one by one. Categories and Tags are coming over just fine, thank you. MD is putting a lot of accounts in as ‘Bank’ when an account should be an ‘Asset’ and I’m not seeing where to change that in ‘edit account’.

Second question: as I import MD is creating a bunch of ‘imported bank accounts’. I know I’ll have a lot of clean up to do once the imports are done, but, will these accounts go away or finally get matched to whatever they belong to?

11. 11 Posted by dmcneilly on 27 Apr, 2016 11:14 PM

Have come up with a solution. I am going into each account and selectall transactions and delete. Sometimes there are a couple of strays that need to be deleted individually. Then I do a fresh import. Balances, so far are coming out correct because the structure exists and not creating 'imported' accounts. A lot of work but worth it.

I still have the need to reclass accounts. So, please help.

12. System closed this discussion on 30 Jul, 2016 03:52 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac