quicken switch

Art

29 Apr, 2016 10:31 PM

Is it easy to transfer quicken files to moneydance?

1. 1 Posted by Art on 29 Apr, 2016 10:34 PM

I have a number of accounts, less than 6, in quicken.. I want to open them in moneydance. Are they not already qif files?

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 29 Apr, 2016 11:44 PM

QIF is a format that contains the transaction information. Quicken stores data in QDF files (or they used to at least). You need to use Quicken to export the data into a more universal format like QIF and then import the resultant files into Moneydance.

QDF is a proprietary data file format that only Quicken can read.

3. 3 Posted by smith.chrisg on 30 Apr, 2016 02:51 AM

I just imported my entire quicken file. I had to delete some transactions from Moneydance where something got confused in the move...but it was less than 70 entries. If you can...mark as many transactions in quicken as cleared or reconciled first. That's how I could easily find the problem items in MD because they weren't marked like that and I could sort by that and quickly id them. I did the import process a few times, different ways - changing each time as I came back here for some advise. The final time worked best. 1. Say create new account set, minimal type/structure. Name it whatever you want to call your money file. 2. Once that's created go to File, Import and pick your QIF file. 3. Dialog box questions: Import To "New Account". File Source "from another program". Click ok. After that's done you should be mostly good - if not all. Like I said, I had about 70 entries needing to be deleted and then all my balances were right. That's out of 10,000 or more over many years of entries from quicken and it took me less than 30 mins to get balanced. Account types are a little different and this is new to me too so I don't have a lot to offer beyond this import process that I think works best. Good luck. I think this is a much better choice than quicken anymore.

4. System closed this discussion on 30 Jul, 2016 03:53 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac