Switch from AceMoney

ItsMikeE

30 Apr, 2016 10:22 AM

I am looking to switch from AceMoney to MoneyDance

From AM I can only export one account at a time to a QIF file
Should I follow the instructions on this site for switching from MS Money?

Will I get my AM categories?
Will transfers appear as one or two transactions?
Will split transactions be managed correctly?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jenny on 01 May, 2016 12:00 PM

Hi Mike,

If you're able to export as a QIF file then you can follow these steps for exporting from MS Money, or these steps for exporting multiple QIF files from Quicken.

It's hard to say if the categories etc will import correctly. Most customers are able to import their data without issues, however, the QIF file format was never really intended for transferring all data between personal finance software and as such it may contains inherent ambiguities that will need to be manually corrected post import. How much manual correcting needs to be done is hard to predict. Typically investment accounts fair worse that regular accounts in this matter.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions, or need assistance getting your data imported correctly.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Jenny on 01 May, 2016 12:02 PM

I forgot to mention - If you haven't already, you can download our free trial version and experiment with the program before you decide if you would like to purchase it. The demo version is fully functional and allows you to manually enter 100 transactions. Imported transactions are not limited, so you'll be able to fully test importing your data from AceMoney.

If you decide to purchase the program at a later date you can keep all your data, the license key simply unlocks the ability to manually enter more transactions. You can download the trial version of Moneydance here.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

3. 3 Posted by ItsMikeE on 02 May, 2016 01:32 PM

Thank you
    I have downloaded the demo version
    My first attempt got the right balances but not the categories, hence my question.
    Not sure if I selected import 'from file' or 'from program'
    I'll try again following the instructions provided

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Jenny on 03 May, 2016 08:31 AM

If you'd like to try importing again, you can create a brand new data set within File --> New, and move between data sets within File --> Open. You could create one data set and try the Quicken steps to import. Then try again with another data set and the MS Money import steps. Then, when you've got the data imported correctly, we can easily remove the unwanted data set.
    Ideally, the Quicken steps will work, as the MS Money instructions are slightly more involved. You may also want a look through this article which detail the possible issues after QIF import and how to resolve.

If you follow the import instructions and continue to encounter issues, please let me know.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 03 May, 2016 08:56 AM

When importing data that was exported from another program it is import to select the From another program option, if you do not I believe that category information will be ignored.

As QIF files are just text files you can also check if categories are included in the QIF file, they should look something like::

L:Salary:Salary & Wages

6. 6 Posted by ItsMikeE on 03 May, 2016 09:51 AM

My 2nd attempt was much more successful than my first

I imported account info then imported data
    I had to set up one account manually (for a liability) and my balances look good and I can see split transactions and categories

A couple of questions:
    1) I want to set up regular scheduled transactions - Is that a reminder transaction in MD? Can I copy an existing transaction to make it a recurring one?
    2) Can Android handle multiple sets of moneydance accounts? I cannot see an "open other" in Android

7. 7 Posted by ItsMikeE on 03 May, 2016 10:30 AM

Also how do I see my future balance? So that I can see if I need to make a transfer

8. System closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2016 02:33 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac