windows to linux

ED HAREN

03 Jul, 2021 03:29 PM

Have used $dance for windows for 4 years and is great.
Am thinking of migrating to linux.
Will do a trial on a very old laptop to see if it works.
Is a specific version of linux required?
How difficult is the install?

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 03 Jul, 2021 03:42 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

I know there are many options and others will wade in here. I installed Mint 20 and it was easy....

2. 2 Posted by derekkent23 on 03 Jul, 2021 03:51 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi ED

One of my computers I use for Linux, the others are windows 10 computers.
    On the Linux computer I have 3 partitions and run my favourite Linux Feren OS, followed by Linux Mint and lastly Ubuntu. All run Moneydance without any problems. I Moneydance sync my Linux and Windows computers using Dropbox.

Hope this helps

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 03 Jul, 2021 08:56 PM

I'm a fellow user.

There are multiple installation kits for Linux, which one to use depends on the distribution you use. I have tried all kits and none are particularly hard to install, just different.

There are no minimum version requirements that I have encountered and Moneydance works the same on the platform as it does on Windows and both have the same folder structure.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ethan on 04 Jul, 2021 08:14 PM

Just to add to the above great information, if you need an older version of Moneydance (for any operating system), you can download them at: https://infinitekind.com/previous-versions-of-moneydance

I imagine there's a limit to which Moneydance versions can run on which Linux systems, but I'm not aware of where that is. My main system that I use for customer support is running Linux Mint 20, and I have every final release from 2011 on installed, and each seems to run fine. It's possible that if you have a very old type of Linux installed, it won't be able to run some of the latest versions.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by edharen on 04 Jul, 2021 08:21 PM

Tks much.

Tks for your reply.

Am thinking about migrating but the spare laptop I have must be too old/underpowered to run $dance.

Am now looking for a used pc or laptop that I can use to experiment with.

Ed Haren

Christi crux est mea lux

The cross of Christ is my light

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Ethan on 04 Jul, 2021 08:32 PM

Hi Ed,

Hmm, possibly, but Moneydance doesn't really use that many resources, unless you have a huge data file. I also have another ten year old laptop with Linux that seems to be able to run the latest version of Moneydance just fine, for example. If you let us know how far you seem to get in installing and running it, along with the specific version you are trying to install, and which version of Linux you are running, we may be able to offer suggestions.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

7. 7 Posted by dwg on 04 Jul, 2021 09:05 PM

The oldest machine I have Moneydance on with Linux is a 15 year old core duo machine, it works fine. That is running Linux Mint 19 and the latest version of Moneydance.

8. 8 Posted by Ed Haren on 05 Jul, 2021 12:26 AM

ok not too old but underpowered?Atom Single Core1.6 Ghz1 GB DDR3 RAM

32 bit
    think the 32 bit might be a the deal breaker...your thoughts?
    tks

Ed Haren
    Christi crux est mea lux

On Sunday, July 4, 2021, 04:05:47 PM CDT, dwg <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

9. 9 Posted by Ed Haren on 05 Jul, 2021 01:57 AM

machine is a dell mini
    Atom Single Core1.6 Ghz1 GB DDR3 RAM
    32 bit==running UNBUNTU 10.04moneydance appears to have installed ok - shows in the dropdown but when click on it - it doesn't run - no err msg.When reboot - doesn't show in the dropdown.Have done this twice to no avail.==Tried installing 2 kinds of light linux but moneydance wouldn't install.==can you assist?tks

Ed Haren
    Christi crux est mea lux

On Sunday, July 4, 2021, 04:05:47 PM CDT, dwg <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

10. 10 Posted by dwg on 05 Jul, 2021 02:38 AM

Yes 32 bit is the problem, the last 32 bit version of Moneydance for Linux was Moneydance 2017.

The Java build that Infinite Kind uses dropped support for 32 bit Linux some time back.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac