Import Quicken data files

Richard Ehlke

04 Jul, 2021 08:50 PM

Can I import years of Quicken data files into MD? Want to retain check register, for instance, that goes back 20 years.

1. 1 Posted by dtd on 04 Jul, 2021 09:00 PM

just a user

The methodology to do this is to export a .QIF file from Quicken, as the data files themselves are proprietary.

I did this for 35 years of data. The only real problem is investment files (with stocks, etc) as Quicken supports action steps that are not fully accounting based.

So, to answer your question more simply - yes. You can import years of Quicken information - you just need to make a .QIF file to do so.

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 04 Jul, 2021 09:02 PM

I'm a fellow user.

Quicken, as does most financial software, uses proprietary data formats. You need to use Quicken itself to export the transaction data as one or more QIF files which Moneydance can import.

Details on importing QIF files can found in the Knowledge Base:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb

Many of use have used this process to import data from Quicken and indeed from many other software products.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ethan on 04 Jul, 2021 09:06 PM

In addition to the above advice, I'd also encourage you to download our free trial version from http://infinitekind.com/downloads and experiment with the program before you decide if you would like to purchase it. The demo version is fully functional and allows you to manually enter 100 transactions. Imported transactions are not limited, so you'll be able to fully test things like importing from other programs and connections with your bank. If you decide to purchase the program at a later date (from http://infinitekind.com/purchase) you can keep all your data, the license key simply unlocks the ability to manually enter more transactions.

If you have trouble importing your data into the trial version, let us know what seems to be going wrong, and we can offer suggestions.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by Richard Ehlke on 05 Jul, 2021 12:05 AM

Thanks Ethan. I will try this. I am currently using Q 2014, no longer
    supported, and am not interested in a subscription. Moneydance seems to
    fit my relatively basic needs but I do not want to lose all the historical
    financial data that resides in Q.

RE

5. 5 Posted by Richard Ehlke on 05 Jul, 2021 04:07 PM

Ethan:
        Importing my Quicken2014 QIF file as per your instructions seems to
    have worked beautifully. The MoneyDance format for my various accounts is
    quite similar to the Quicken format (and functionality) I am used to.
        All this is preparatory to purchasing a new desktop computer and I have
    looked at your Knowledge Base articles on transferring MD to a new
    computer. I think my best option will be to export my Quicken data to a
    QIF file on a removable disk. Then download the MD program on my new
    computer and import the data from the removable disk. That would seem
    less complicated than the transferring process. Am I missing something.
    Thanks.

Richard Ehlke

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 05 Jul, 2021 08:59 PM

I'm a fellow user.

QIF files only contain raw transactions, so they do not include things like reminders, price histories etc.

We use QIF files for migration between program and on occasions for downloaded transactions either because there is nothing better or nothing else that is available.

We do not use it to move between different versions of Moneydance or Moneydance on different machines because it only supports the raw transactions.

7. 7 Posted by dtd on 05 Jul, 2021 09:12 PM

To followup with dog’s comment, copy your moneydance file to the external drive, vs. the gif file - it should work fine on the new machine.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac