Balance Update

Richard Ehlke

06 Jul, 2021 03:14 PM

Evaluating trial version of MD and followed some of the discussions about there being no automatic update of balances (like in Quicken). I manually enter much of my data on a regular basis and use the Calculator to determine changes in an account balance and then paste that result into the account ledger. However, I do not see this capability in the MD calculator tool. Any advice? Thanks.

Richard Ehlke

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 06 Jul, 2021 09:34 PM

I'm a fellow user.

I vaguely recall something about Quicken being able to automatically post balance adjustment entries.

If this is what you are referring to Moneydance does not offer that.

In my view that is not desirable in any case as it is merely doctoring balances to match whereas if they do not match it means there are errors or missing transactions in the account and that these problems should be correctly. Not matching means the data has no integrity.

2. 2 Posted by tgilbert666 on 13 Jul, 2021 01:02 AM

Quicken's feature "Update Balance" is a feature of CASH type accounts (and perhaps some Asset or Liability accounts?) where the Reconcile function is not offered.
    It's still there in my (unused in favour of MD!) version of Reckon Home & Business 2020.
    It allows one to enter a (modified) current balance, and Quicken will both enter a transaction for the delta AND mark all previous transactions as "Cleared".
    I've used it for decades to re-balance my wallet "account" (a CASH account) when I've neglected to record some (totally forgotten) transactions but want to bring my wallet back into accord. One can enter a Category (such as "random cash spending") for the balancing transaction, and I whilst I would agree that by their nature, CASH type accounts might have limited integrity, I would argue that describing the automation of a process that MD perfectly allows by manual entry, as "having no integrity" might be a tad harsh. Either that or MD is lacking the same integrity by allowing me to do exactly the same thing, just by a much more laborious method!! Just sayin' :-)
    Cheers,
    Tony (an MD lover, but not a Quicken hater!)

3. 3 Posted by Richard Ehlke on 13 Jul, 2021 01:55 AM

Thanks. I am considering abandoning Quicken for MD so your comments were welcomed.

RE

On July 12, 2021, at 9:02 PM, tgilbert666 <[email blocked]> wrote:

pre { width: 92%; margin: 10px 2%; padding: 5px 2%; background: #efefef; border: 1px solid #d6d6d6 } blockquote { margin-left: 0; padding-left: 1em; border-left: 5px solid #ccc; }

4. 4 Posted by tgilbert666 on 13 Jul, 2021 02:02 AM

You're welcome,
    And when I say ". . .much more labourious. . . "
    I really mean ". . . SLIGHTLY more labourious . . . " as follows:

• Calculate the delta in the Amount field using MD's inbuilt in-line calculator.
    • Enter a category
    • Save the balancing transaction.
    • Multi-select the uncleared transactions
    • Use a key combo (CTRL + ALT +C) to mark them as cleared.

So really, in my case, 5 steps instead of one, once a month or so, for one or two accounts. Trivial when compared to the advantages. :-)

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 13 Jul, 2021 02:56 AM

It is really easy to hate Reckon :) they tend to like rubbing customers the wrong way, I last used Reckon around the 2010 version.

I do not like to have an automatic balance adjustment function because it is just too tempting for some to use. I think if you are going to be using financial software I think you want the data to be right and not incomplete, otherwise why bother?

Sure you can use standard transactions to achieve the same outcome but it requires a small amount of effort so it has to be a more deliberate rather than a convenient action.

Yes I tend to be in favour of a more hard line approach in this area, possibly because I have a banking and finance background in the distant past.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac