Using file synced in dropbox

Forbes Hamilton

09 Jul, 2021 10:29 PM

Hi I have just had to recover my windows installation using a saved image. Obviously it took my moneydance installation back to a different time and this was compounded by my backup disk failing. Historically I had used moneydance synced between two computers. I could not make that work for me so I deleted Moneydance from my laptop however it still syncs the dropbox file. I have not connected my laptop to the internet since my desktop failure. There is therefore a copy of the pre failure file on my laptop of the Moneydance sync file. How can I use this to bring my desktop up to date?
Thanks in advance

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 10 Jul, 2021 07:16 AM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

I’m a bit confused as to whether you are saying there is a good moneydance dataset on your laptops. If so, On the new desktop. In MD. file/new open sync’d copy. Dropbox. Select the dataset that appears.

A different approach would be to file / export backup on the laptop. Copy the resulting file to desktop. Then file / restore backup.

2. 2 Posted by Forbes Hamilton on 10 Jul, 2021 07:53 AM

Stuart,Thanks tor taking the time to offer help. On the laptop there is a good copy in dropbox but no MM. On the desktop an older version of MD and in that dropbox an old data set.My thinking was to try and update the MD to 2p21 and take a copy of the data set from the laptop, over right the file in dropbox on the desktop and the just start MD hoping it would import the good data set.I don't want to make things worse though.RegardsForbes HamiltonSent from my Galaxy
    -------- Original message --------From: Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’ <[email blocked]> Date: 10/07/2021 08:16 (GMT+00:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: Using file synced in dropbox [Switching to Moneydance #19112]

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 10 Jul, 2021 08:05 AM

Ah ok. You don’t say what version you are using. I would do this.

Install latest MD2021.1(3069) on laptop if you are also going to use the latest on new desktop. This would be my preference and both must be the same version (are you licensed for this)?

… or install Exactly the same version as desktop on laptop (but the toolbox steps below won’t work in not on MD2021.1).

.. then run moneydance. Welcome or File / New / open sync’d copy. Select Dropbox.

Wait for it to download / sync and until you have a good dataset. Restart MD twice and confirm you have a good dataset.

Then file / export backup to a xxx.moneydancearchive file.

Copy this file to new desktop.

On desktop. File / restore from backup.

Confirm you have a good dataset. NOTE: Sync will already be disabled at this point.

Later. Exit MD on all systems.

Find your hidden .moneydancesync folder in Dropbox and rename this to anything else.

Open MD on new desktop.

Install toolbox extension. Run toolbox. Advanced mode. Promote secondary to primary option

MD. file. Sync. Enable sync. Dropbox folders.

Back onto old laptop. MD. File, new, open Sync Copy. Select the dataset you just created.

(Not support, just a fellow user)

4. 4 Posted by Forbes Hamilton on 10 Jul, 2021 09:23 PM

Stuart,

Thanks for the advice.

What I did in the end was to rewind my Dropbox folder to before the disaster. And then synced my desktop with that version on Dropbox. I then started my updated Moneydance and it synced beautifully.

Disaster over and duplicate of backup arranged for the future.

Again thanks for your help.

Forbes Hamilton

5. 5 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 10 Jul, 2021 09:39 PM

👍 😃

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac