Moneydance on different computers in a household

Cécile

02 May, 2016 06:21 PM

Hi, I've just purchased Moneydance. I would like all the computers of my household to be able to access and work with it. What should I do.
Can I used Microsoft Money up to now, can I export the data to import them onto your software, keeping history?
Thanks, Cécile

1. 1 Posted by Ian O on 03 May, 2016 11:03 AM

Hi Cécile,

To share your data between multiple computers you will need to set up sharing through Dropbox. You will need to move your entire data set to your Dropbox folder. The instructions on how to locate and move your data set can be found here. You data set will appear as a 'yourfilename'.moneydance file; make sure you only open your data set on one computer at a time to avoid corruption.

You can import your MS Money data into Moneydance by following the steps outlined in this article. It is quite an involved process so if you encounter any issues along the way please let me know and we can address these as they arise.

I hope this information is useful, please let me know if you have any further questions or if you encounter any issues.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Delattre family on 05 May, 2016 09:21 AM

Hi Ian,

the instructions to share are for Mac, all the screenshots show Apple. Can you show me steps for Windows. Thanks
    Cécile

3. 3 Posted by Ian O on 05 May, 2016 09:42 AM

Hi Cecile,

In the article I have sent the instruction for Windows are at the bottom. However, if your data sets are stored in the default location you can access this by going to Help --> Show Documents Folder and your data set should appear as a 'yourfilename.moneydance' file. If you are still unable to find your data set you can perform a search on your computer for 'moneydance' files/folders and this should find your data set.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by Delattre family on 05 May, 2016 09:56 AM

ok found 'yourfilename.moneydance' file, and now what? I’m sorry but your explanations are very clear for Mac with screenshots, but very poor for Windows users

5. 5 Posted by Ian O on 05 May, 2016 10:03 AM

Hi Cecile,

Sorry for the confusion, although the screenshots are for Mac systems, the software is the same and you'll find most features in the exact same location.

Now you have located your file, close Moneydance and move your data set to your Dropbox folder. Open Moneydance on each system, select Open Other and navigate to your Dropbox location. Open your data from here (only on one system at a time to avoid corruption) and your data should sync.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

6. 6 Posted by Delattre family on 05 May, 2016 10:08 AM

ok thanks will do

7. 7 Posted by Delattre family on 05 May, 2016 05:15 PM

Hi Ian,

another question.
    Is there a backup in the cloud? Or should we set up one (like we did with Money with a hard drive).
    Thanks
    Cécile

8. 8 Posted by Ian O on 06 May, 2016 05:31 AM

Hi Cécile,

Moneydance 2015 doesn't offer auto-backup functionality, so we recommend using a third party automatic backup solution like you have done previosuly with MS Money. You can, however, create a manual backups by going to File -> "Export Backup" from within Moneydance

Within Moneydance --> Preferences --> Backups, you can choose the max number of backups saved daily, and also set a separate backup folder.

I hope this information is useful, please let me know if I can assist further.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

9. System closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2016 02:34 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac