Editing budget categories

samou812

13 Sep, 2021 05:16 PM

Hello. I used the demo version of Moneydance for about two years. I then attempted to switch to HomeBank, and spent a good bit of time recently manually entering 7 months of transactions into that program (for the first few months of 2021, health issues prevented me from doing any personal accounting). Unfortunately, I found the reporting features in HB to be anemic and inadequate for my purposes. I do monthly printed reports so that my wife and I can review the previous period activity. So, I purchased Moneydance today, and downloaded v. 2021.1 (3069) for Windows.

Since I planned to try to import the transactions that I had already entered into HB, and I wanted to be able to see any import errors fairly easily, I created a new (empty) file set in MD for 2021. I exported a QIF file from HB and imported that into the new MD file set. A spot check of the transactions in MD seems to indicate that they imported successfully: the data appears complete, and the +- signs look to be correct. The categories in which the transactions were organized also seems to have imported correctly. For what ever reason, the budgeted amounts from HB did not appear to import at all. That itself is not a huge issue; my budget is quite simple - I have only about 30 categories, and the budgeted amounts are the same each month in each category.

Therein lies the first issue with which I need assistance. I was easily able to access the main categories list in MD from the tools menu, and delete the categories that were not imported from HB. However, in the Budget Manager, the "native" MD categories continue to be displayed in addition to those for the transactions imported from HB. That makes the report difficult to look at. I have been unable to find any tool to delete the unwanted categories in the budget view(s), even though they were deleted from the main "category" view. How may I do that? Also, is there any tool that will allow me to enter the annual total budget for each category and spread that evenly over 12 months, or will need to enter each month's budgeted amount as the "of" figure for each category in the budget manager? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 13 Sep, 2021 10:35 PM

just a user,

Use the Mixed Interval (Old Style) budget setup . Then you have full control of your budget listing and future budget intervals and amounts. The default new style has many issues in addition the one you found.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Maddy on 14 Sep, 2021 12:41 PM

Hi,

I can see you’ve received a reply from one of our knowledgeable Moneydance customers. To add to this useful information I thought it's worth mentioning that you can use the 'Income and Expense, Detailed' report. Reports are accessible via Tools --> Graphs and Reports, or in the left side bar (below your accounts).

When viewing the report settings, you can choose the accounts to include and you can specify the date range. The date range can be set as longer than just 12 months.

At the bottom of the report settings window, you'll likely see 'All Income' and 'All Expense'. Choose the button to the right of this - "Show: By Individual'. This will display each of your individual categories and you can choose which to include/exclude before generating the report to view your data.

Also, if you wish trying out the latest preview version, this includes Foresight Forecast and Foresight Review under Tools. Please refer to this page for further information on using this tool.

Moneydance 2021.2 (3095) is available to download from this page.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

3. 3 Posted by samou812 on 14 Sep, 2021 02:00 PM

Thanks for that advice. I created a new named budget in my database, and selected "mixed intervals / old style" as advised. My new budget appears to be completely unpopulated: no categories; amounts; or date ranges. Should I create an entire new, empty file set, specify old-style budgeting, then do my QIF import into that file set? Thanks again.

4. 4 Posted by mhoggie on 14 Sep, 2021 02:09 PM

just a user,

I don't think you can import a Quicken budget. I would probably just print out the current budget with the categories and amounts like it is set up in Quicken, then check your MD categories to make sure you have all the categories you use in Quicken, adding those that are not listed. Then create a new Mixed Interval MD budget and add the budget items, categories, and amounts to the MD budget. Then you're set. When you choose the budget period in MD, be sure to use the periods that don't show prorated unless you have a need for that.

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 14 Sep, 2021 09:26 PM

QIF files do not have any provision for budget information.

6. 6 Posted by jpx_6 on 18 Sep, 2021 06:00 AM

Hi, why cant i see the replies of other members. can someone help!

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Maddy on 20 Sep, 2021 07:52 AM

@jpx_6

You can see the full discussion on this thread.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac