switching from Banktivity

DAVID CARREL

28 Sep, 2021 04:58 PM

Hi,

I am looking to switch to Mondydance. I'm trying to import from Banktivity and I am seeing lots of import errors and confusion. Before I decide whether I can spend a lot of time trying to manually clean it all up, I wanted to ask if you have any suggestions for ways to get a better import? I have a lot of entries from many many years. I have read your pages at
https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/switching-from-another-personal-finance-program/15002-banktivity-to-moneydance-via-qif
and
[https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/importing-data-from-other-programs/possible-problems-after-qif-import

My biggest problem seems to be with splits that contain transfers. I get duplicate entries. For example I have a loan account which starts with an entry for the full value of the loan. That entry is a split with many items and one split item is a transfer to my checking account. However, that transfer is duplicated in Moneydance. There is one transfer in the split, and a duplicate as a standalone transfer of just the transfer amount. I also see most (maybe all) of my paycheck entries (which contain transfers in splits) as duplicates. I have looked and the transfers are not for different dates on the different sides.

In splits without transfers, I am seeing the numeric values all import correctly, but the memo entries for each split line are attached to the wrong split line. The 1st split line in Moneydance has the memo for the 2nd split line in Banktivity. All subsequent lines are also off by 1, with the last split line in Moneydance having no memo. I looked at the .qif file and it does contain all the right memo entries. It appears the ordering of .qif lines is being interpreted differently by Banktivity and Moneydance.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dave

P.S. I can provide screen captures and some contents of the .qif file if that helps.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac