various

richard.scher

06 May, 2016 01:12 AM

Hi
As I see many others have experienced, Quicken has become a nightmare and I am seriously considering Moneydance as the best alternative. I downloaded the trial version and have been looking through the program. Looks pretty good, but I have some basic functionality questions:
Can I import the Quicken transaction categories as part of the QIF import, or will i have to recategorize all previous transions?

How do I set up banking and credit card accounts for download to Moneydance?
Can I create reports with category specific headers
Thanks

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jenny on 07 May, 2016 12:25 PM

Hi Richard,

If the QIF file format is available to you when exporting from Quicken, you should follow these steps to import your data. In particular make sure you specify to Import into a new account rather than an existing account. And you set the source to "From another program".
    It is highly recommended to export all Quicken data into a single QIF file, as doing so makes the import process much smoother. Please use the option in Quicken to export "all accounts" if available. The one exception to this is if you have accounts in more than one currency - if thats the case, then you can follow these steps to import multiple QIF files.

Moneydance supports automatic downloads via Direct Connect, and you can view a list of banks that support this feature here.
    If your bank is listed, you may need to contact them to enable Direct Connect access, and for your password and pin (which generally differ from those used for online banking). Once access has been enabled, you can setup with Online --> Set Up Online Banking. Then select 'New Connection' and choose your financial institution from the list.
    If your bank is not listed, the best way to get your files into Moneydance is to use a web browser to download them from your bank's web site. You can download into QFX, OFX or OFC files (aka Quicken or MS Money files), any of which will import cleanly into Moneydance.

Within Tools --> Graphs and Reports, you can edit the report settings before generating. In the 'Income and Expense' report for example, you'll see 'All Income' and 'All expense' displayed at the bottom of the window. You can select 'Show: By Individual' on the right, to see a list of your individual categories, which can then be selected.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of further assistance.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

2. System closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2016 02:34 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

27 Sep, 2022 12:49 PM
27 Sep, 2022 12:37 PM
27 Sep, 2022 12:23 PM