Quicken

green

03 Nov, 2021 02:17 AM

Looks like Moneydance will import from Quicken Essentials, but maybe not from the current Quicken application..? That would not be good. I have the latest Quicken. Quicken Essentials is years old...

1. 1 Posted by dtd on 03 Nov, 2021 02:25 AM

just a user

If the current Quicken can export QIF files that would work. Some Quicken versions didn't allow QIF export. Moneydance can import QIF files, but the QDF format is proprietary to Quicken.

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 03 Nov, 2021 02:35 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Quicken Essentials used a relatively simple data format that was pretty well known hence Moneydance, like other programs, could include an importer. Quicken Essentials was a very different program to the flagship Quicken program.

Quicken itself is a different proposition, the data format is proprietary, there are no published specifications.

Given this is is necessary to migrate data from Quicken in much the same manner that it is necessary to transfer data from most other programs and that is to use some sort of common format.

The unfortunate situation is that there is no perfect universal data exchange format - it is probably fair to say that vendors do not perceive this to be in their own interest. The best format we have for data exchange between programs in the finance space is QIF and this format was not intended for this function.

We know that most versions of Quicken have the capability to export the raw transaction information into one or more QIF files and it is these files that Moneydance can import, to move from Quicken to any other software you would do so via QIF files, so Moneydance is not unique in this regard.

3. 3 Posted by green on 03 Nov, 2021 04:29 PM

Well then it seems I've wasted $29.99 on Moneydance. At least I got a discount. But still a waste of money… (dance)

4. 4 Posted by dtd on 03 Nov, 2021 07:14 PM

1) You can ask for a refund.

2) Can you not export a QIF file from your latest version of Quicken? Then you could import that into Moneydance.

5. 5 Posted by green on 04 Nov, 2021 12:14 AM

Can't hurt. I will try to get an answer from Quicken tomorrow. Go from there. Thanks.

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 04 Nov, 2021 12:38 AM

With Quicken a typical path to export a QIF file is the File --> Export menu option.

Depending on the version and edition of Quicken options under this path will vary..

7. 7 Posted by tgilbert666 on 04 Nov, 2021 12:50 AM

(From a fellow user) Sometimes Quicken (not sure about Essentials) Export options are hidden and need the key combo ++Z to become enabled. See attached

8. System closed this discussion on 03 Feb, 2022 01:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac