Adding investments

Mike

04 Nov, 2021 12:41 PM

I have been looking at the knowledge base for info on adding shares and entering holdings but am confused by the new transaction form, I have tried adding number of shares and cost in various boxes but non of the results come up with the correct value, none of the entry boxes appear to accept the number of shares.
Is there any more detailed info about these entries anywhere?

Also does Moneydance not download share prices?

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 04 Nov, 2021 01:32 PM

1/ Install the QuoteLoader extension to download and update share prices.

a) Tools/Securities to create the shares and set the current price. Also add a dated price too...
    b) Tools/Accounts NEW Investment account to hold invetsments
    c) select the investment account, then (top right) Actions > Add Security. Add the Security
    d) New Transaction... BUY... enter the shares bought, the purchase price, the total purchase value..

That should be it

2. 2 Posted by derekkent23 on 04 Nov, 2021 01:49 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Mike

In general, the process is as follows.
    1. Create a Security TOOLS – SECURITIES - +
    2. Create an Investment Account. ACCOUNT – NEW ACCOUNT - Select Investment.
    3. Add Security to Investment Account HIGHLIGHT Investment Account in Side Bar – select SECURITY DETAIL tab – click ADD SECURITY button
    4. REGISTER tab. Click NEW TRANSACTION button and enter DATE – ACTION select Buy or ByXfr – Security – Shares and Price – Amount is automatically calculated. See screen shot.
    If you still have problems please provide as much detail on the step that’s the issue, with screen shots.

Once you have created your securities the best way to obtain Prices is to use the Extension Quote Loader.
    For information on the features of this extension and how to use see post 200 at
    https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4914-the...

Download the PDF’s attached to post 200 and have a read.

To get an overview take a look at the YouTube videos by using the links on page 1 and 2 of the PDF.

Let us know how you get on or if you need help just post.

Hope this helps.

3. 3 Posted by Mike on 05 Nov, 2021 08:56 AM

Got some shares added but still finding my way around getting something like an overview of everything, I have added 3 stocks but all I can get is one showing in portfolio view and it is odd, it is showing a negative cash balance for some reason.
    Is there any way to turn the 'asset allocation' circle thing off, it just seems a waste of screen pace.
    I seem to have got quote loader installed but I don't know how as I was getting an error message from the extension manager and the drop mxt file on moneydance window methods - 'java.net socket exception permission denied: connect' , I'm still reading the instructions for it.
    I'm undecided about buying moneydance as I find it far from intuitive to use, I am using acemoney but it is getting difficult to find a reliable source of share price updates through it.

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 05 Nov, 2021 09:02 AM

You should install QL by going to extensions/manage extensions and then it should be in the list and click install.

As for negative cash balance, presumably you did a BUY transaction. This consumes cash. The cash must have come from somewhere? So, you transfer the cash from a bank account to the investment account.

Stick with it. Once you get used to it, it’s very powerful.

5. 5 Posted by Mike on 05 Nov, 2021 09:12 AM

I have got quote loader installed (somehow?) it shows in extensions now and a window opens when clicked but haven't found out how to use it yet.

From what I read, the 'buyxfr' option should just add stocks without requiring the funding source for it. I think I will abandon it if I have to go back a lot of years having to provide all the funding info for the stocks.

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 05 Nov, 2021 09:24 AM

I'm a fellow user.

I evaluated Acemoney some years ago when I was looking for a new program, it is very different to how Moneydance works. I had been using Quicken/Reckon.

So if you are used to Acemoney at first you will find Moneydance quite foreign and it will take getting used to.

Acemoney has its own way of doing things, Moneydance on the other hand is based on accounting principles so there is some standard logic in how it works and how it needs to be approached, but if you are not used to this is will take some time to become familiar with.

Personally I have found Moneydance to be a better product and more flexible.

As Moneydance is based on accounting any purchase of stocks must be funded, the software will not just get money out of thin air it must come from somewhere.

7. 7 Posted by derekkent23 on 05 Nov, 2021 10:05 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Mike

I see other expert users have step into help on the issue of adding holdings of securities.

Regarding Quote Loader did you read the PDF attached to post 200 at https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4914-the...

Also did you use the link page 1 & 2 in the PDF to watch the YouTube videos to get an overview? A picture says a thousand words.

Any problems with any of this with as much detail as you can and an expert user will step in to help.

8. 8 Posted by Mike on 05 Nov, 2021 10:42 AM

I think I will abandon moneydance then if I have to start putting in details of previous bank accounts going back possibly 30 years to show the funding source for shares, in fact I probably can't fully account for a lot of it now.
    I have just downloaded a current statement qfx file and imported it and moneydance isn't wanting to know where that came from, it also references transfers to and from other accounts and they seem to be accepted.

I did get the pdf and am reading it (or was, not much point if I am giving up on moneydance) but videos are out here, very poor internet speed.

9. 9 Posted by dwg on 05 Nov, 2021 10:53 AM

There is no need to put in all past bank accounts, but you need the detail of all current investment purchases.

The way to get the cash to do this is by using the initial balance field on the account info screen, you make this entry the amount you need to start you off. For example I have some shares purchase from the early 1980s. I do not have accounts going back that far so I used to initial balance field to provide the "cash" I needed to purchase the early shares. Once I have it up to more recent times yes I draw on the appropriate account for funds for the purchases.

10. 10 Posted by Mike on 06 Nov, 2021 02:03 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone, think I have got it pretty much sorted now. I had forgotten what a pain it can be moving to different software.

11. System closed this discussion on 05 Feb, 2022 02:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac