import .qif

Rich

29 Nov, 2021 03:34 PM

I currently use Quicken 2015 Deluxe, and was seriously considering moving to Moneydance.

I have just installed a trial version of Moneydance on my desktop under Windows 10 Pro (fully patched).

In Quicken 2015 Deluxe, I performed a QIF Export (Transactions, Account List, Category List) with a date range of 1/11/2001 - 12/7/2021.
The export file size is 124KB. For comparison, the parent Quicken QDF is 31,504KB
After I imported the QIF file into Moneydance, I do not see most of the transactions from Quicken.
  Most Checking accounts have 0 transactions, others are incomplete (many missing transactions, and an inaccurate current balance).

What is the issue?

1. 1 Posted by Rich on 29 Nov, 2021 03:38 PM

Hmmmm, maybe I did not export all of the account date from Quicken.
    I am trying again now.

2. 2 Posted by dtd on 29 Nov, 2021 04:13 PM

just a user

As you say, make sure you have the complete date range, and have all the boxes clicked (export all accounts, and those you mentioned)

Import into a fresh, empty dataset so as not to comingle with the incomplete one.

3. 3 Posted by Rich on 29 Nov, 2021 04:27 PM

> Import into a fresh, empty dataset
    Ah. OK. The 2nd import has been running for over 40 minutes, so I will kill it and start over (including reinstalling Moneydance).

We see how it goes...

BTW - the new QIF Export file size from Quicken is 2.12MB, which seems more reasonable.

4. 4 Posted by dtd on 29 Nov, 2021 04:31 PM

@Rich - there shouldn't be a need to reinstall Moneydance, it's like Word with separate doc files, except it is separate Monedance files (or packages if you want to get technical).

Still, if it makes you feel comfortable to truly start from scratch, go for it. :)

5. 5 Posted by dtd on 29 Nov, 2021 04:33 PM

The import isn't short, but 40 minutes seems a bit long, unless your machine is older and slower. I imported 35 years of data via QIF in about 25 minutes when I converted two years ago.

6. 6 Posted by Rich on 29 Nov, 2021 05:43 PM

Actually, I did the uninstall && reinstall, but the previous financial data was still there upon startup. UGH!

I found a folder (.moneydance) under the Windows user directory, so maybe the data was cached there. I deleted .moneydance and re-reinstalled Moneydance.

The application was then clean/empty. The import was *much* quicker (about 5 minutes).

I am auditing the imported accounts now, but so far things look good (just 2 minor issues I can easily deal with).

Later today, I will try to add a few transactions, create a dummy test test account, and reconcile it.

Thanks!

7. 7 Posted by dtd on 29 Nov, 2021 06:21 PM

re uninstall/install - the financial data would still be there, since it is a separate file (sort of like if you uninstall/reinstall word, the doc files are still there).

I'm assuming that you have "reopen last file used", which makes it seem like the file and moneydance are intertwined. I have Moneydance open to the "choose the file to load" which makes it clearer that you have a choice in which datafile you wish to use.

Other than that, looks like you are on your way.

8. System closed this discussion on 28 Feb, 2022 06:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac