How Do I Make a cash investment entry without it being a transfer from some other account

James Gregory

01 Dec, 2021 07:56 AM

I am migrating from Quicken into MoneyDance. I have a host of reconciled deposit entries into a category that should have been a transfer from a savings account into an investment account. I tried to just make a cash entry into my investment account ledger but MoneyDance won't allow me to just make a cash entry without it being a transfer of some kind.

The only way I see to make the deposits correct is to go back into the historical reconciled savings account, delete the transaction into the savings category, and make a new savings entry on the correctly reconciled date showing the correct transfer from the savings account into the investment account. The new entry would not show the reconciled green circle but would correctly show the transferred monies into the investment account. Do I have any other options?. I admit I am trying to clean up some past account errors.

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 01 Dec, 2021 03:47 PM

Hi James,

Something that you could try is to enter a value into the 'Initial Balance' of the Investment account so that it reconciles the cash amount.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. 2 Posted by James H. Gregor... on 01 Dec, 2021 07:01 PM

Thank-you.

Good suggestion. It is less messier than what
    I proposed.

JHG

3. 3 Posted by PAP on 24 Feb, 2022 04:23 PM

The true accounting method would be make that money come from an account called "Owner Investments"

4. System closed this discussion on 26 May, 2022 04:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac