Bringing in Quicken Data

Gail

10 May, 2016 03:48 PM

I created a qif file going back to 01/01/2012 but none of the numbers came in correctly. Is there any way to clear out what I have and start again. My quicken files go back many years, what's the best way to do this?

Regards,
Gail

1. 1 Posted by Gail on 10 May, 2016 03:49 PM

I followed the instructions but still have the problem

2. 2 Posted by Gail on 10 May, 2016 03:58 PM

Is there anyway to call and talk to a support person or do an on-line chat? Or is this it?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Jenny on 10 May, 2016 08:58 PM

Hi Gail,

Unfortunately we do not offer phone support, but I'd be happy to help get these issues resolved via this method.

Can you confirm that you have followed these steps to import your data. In particular make sure you specify to Import into a new account rather than an existing account. And you set the source to "From another program".

It is highly recommended to export all Quicken data into a single QIF file, as doing so makes the import process much smoother. Please use the option in Quicken to export "all accounts" if available. The one exception to this is if you have accounts in more than one currency - if thats the case, then you can follow these steps to import multiple QIF files.

If you would like to try the import again, within Moneydance, go to File --> New to create a new, blank data set, and go to File --> Open to navigate between them.

If you can provide some more information about how the data transferred incorrectly, then I may be able to provide relevant assistance. Were the balances incorrect, or did the transactions themselves appear to be wrong?

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by Gail Richardson on 11 May, 2016 03:52 PM

Hi Jenny,

I followed the directions you provided more than once. I closed Moneydance
    and deleted the Personal Finance files and tried again. No success. It
    brought in all of my accounts but I do not have the time or patience to go
    through all of them to check.

I will try one more time and let you know.

I am very disappointed in your customer support process. I post an issue at
    11:00 am and receive an email at 5:00 pm.

As I am now retired, I no longer sit at the computer and try to keep up
    with emails.

I will let you know how my 4th attempt at importing goes.

Regards,
    Gail

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Jenny on 11 May, 2016 03:59 PM

Hi Gail,

I'm afraid the support forum doesn't include a live chat feature, so responses from the support team wont be immediate. We have supports agents based in the UK and the US so you shouldn't have to wait too long for a reply.

If you can provide some more information about how the data has appeared incorrectly, then I may be able to provide better instructions for resolving this. For example, if the transactions appear correctly but the balance is incorrect, then you may need to add an initial balance to the account. If the categories have not imported correctly, then it's likely an import settings issue. You can read more about the possible issues here.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

6. 6 Posted by Gail Richardson on 11 May, 2016 04:17 PM

​Hi Jenny,

I tried again and the balances are off. Yesterday I tried adding in the
    beginning balance but that did not work. My QIF file goes back to 2000, is
    that a problem? Also, I am using Windows 7 and I don't know if that is an
    issue as well. On my first try, I only went back to 2012 when creating the
    QIF but that did not work so I have been trying the export/import using all
    the data.

I followed the suggestions in help before posting in the forum. ​

Regards,
    Gail

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Jenny on 11 May, 2016 04:33 PM

Hi Gail,

What type of accounts are you trying to import to Moneydance?

Most customers are able to import their data without issues. That being said, the QIF file format was never really intended for transferring all data between personal finance software and as such it may contain inherent ambiguities that will need to be manually corrected post import. How much manual correcting needs to be done is hard to predict. Generally Investment accounts will fair worse than bank accounts.

Can you confirm you've added the beginning balance within the Account --> Edit Account menu, rather than entering transactions to amend the balance. The 'Initial Balance' should be the account balance at the time of the first transaction in the register.

You shouldn't have any more issues due to your older data, however, the more data you're trying to import - the more chance there are for the ambiguities I mentioned. Unfortunately moving from Quicken to any other software is likely to require some work; they do not make it easy, and depending on version it sometimes seems they try to make it impossible.

Can you also confirm if you had the option within Quicken to 'export "all accounts"', and if you have accounts in more than one currency?

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

8. 8 Posted by Gail Richardson on 11 May, 2016 04:33 PM

I tried again. The checking account balance is off by 37441.24.
    When I look in Quicken the opening balance on 12/31/2001 is 4681.34

Regards,

Gail

9. 9 Posted by Gail Richardson on 24 May, 2016 04:52 PM

Hi Jenny,

Just got home from vacation or I would have contacted you sooner.

I would like a refund on my purchase on Moneydance.

Thank you,

Gail

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Jenny on 25 May, 2016 08:41 AM

Hi Gail,

I am sorry that our product did not meet your needs. I have asked our payment processing partners BMT Micro to process your refund. They will let you know when the process is complete from their end.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance, and thank you for your interest in Moneydance.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

11. 11 Posted by Gail Richardson on 25 May, 2016 02:24 PM

Thank you Jenny.

I also am sorry that this did not work out as I had hoped.

Best regards,

Gail

12. Ethan closed this discussion on 25 May, 2016 03:53 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

23 May, 2022 07:41 PM
23 May, 2022 07:40 PM
23 May, 2022 07:20 PM