Quicken 2013 Transition

Terry Sopira

10 May, 2016 08:10 PM

Do you offer a seamless transition from Quicken 2013 to Moneydance. I have a very large file that goes back to 2013 and it would be devastating, not even to mention the tax consequences, to loose any transactions.

Please list wqhat will be transferred to Moneydance and what will not be transferred to Moneydance.

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 10 May, 2016 08:34 PM

It is possible to transfer from Quicken 2013 to Moneydance but I would not say the experience is seamless. The only way to get data out of Quicken is to export to a QIF file and QIF files are awful. With a large dataset you should expect some amount of manual work to clean up post import.

There are instructions here:
    http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/importing-data-from-banks-and-other...

Ben Spencer
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Terry on 11 May, 2016 01:27 AM

Ben

I really don’t use all of the Quicken Features. Here is a summary of what I require.

1. Bill pay from Moneydance to several different accounts at either Bank Of America or Keystone Credit union.

2. Download of Credit card transaction from Bank oF America, Citibank, American Express and Capital One. Maybe some others as well.

3. Categorization of Transaction – I.e Rental Expense and Sub category of those such as Rental Expense - Insurance, Rental Expense- mortgage , and so on.

4. Flexible reporting by Category and sub category (For income tax purposes)

What do you think?

Terry Sopira

Tel:650-245-2701

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Jenny on 11 May, 2016 12:40 PM

Hi Terry,

Moneydance supports automatic connections via Direct Connect, and you can view a list of banks that support this feature here. You may have previously connected in Quicken using a feature called Web Connect. If your bank supports Direct Connect, then they may also support Bill Pay via this connection type.

If your bank is on the list, you can setup online banking with these banks by going to Online --> Set Up Online Banking. Then select 'New Connection' and choose your financial institution from the list. You may need to contact your bank to enable Direct Connect access and for your username and pin (which generally differ from those used for online banking).

Without Direct Connect, the best way to get your files into Moneydance is to use a web browser to download them from your bank's web site. You can download into QFX, OFX or OFC files (aka Quicken or MS Money files), any of which will import cleanly into Moneydance. You can also open your bank's download page directly (after entering the appropriate address in the Account --> Edit Account menu) by going to the menu bar and selecting Online --> Open Account Website, which makes the download process easier.

Bank of America has recently discontinued their support for new direct connect activations. However, if your account was activated for direct connect before they turned off support, you should still be able to connect in Moneydance. If this is the case, please advise and I can provide the advanced setup for this.

You are able to add, amend and delete categories within the Tools --> Categories menu. These can be added to transactions and then reported on within the Tools --> Graphs and Reports menu. If you go to 'Income and Expense' report for example, you'll see the settings which can be amended before the report is generated. You'll see 'all income' and 'all expense' highlighted at the bottom of the window. Select 'Show: by individual' to see a list of your categories which can be added to the report individually.

If you haven't already, I encourage you to download our free trial version and experiment with the program before you decide if you would like to purchase it. The demo version is fully functional and allows you to manually enter 100 transactions. Imported transactions are not limited, so you'll be able to fully test importing your data from Quicken.

If you decide to purchase the program at a later date you can keep all your data, the license key simply unlocks the ability to manually enter more transactions. You can download the trial version of Moneydance from here.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have any questions or need assistance getting your data imported correctly.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by Terry on 11 May, 2016 02:41 PM

Jenny
    Do categories and memos get imported?

On May 11, 2016 5:40 AM, Jenny <[email blocked]> wrote:

// Please reply above this line
    ==================================================

Hi Terry,

Moneydance supports automatic connections via Direct Connect, and you can view a list of banks that support this feature here. You may have previously connected in Quicken using a feature called Web Connect. If your bank supports Direct Connect, then they may also support Bill Pay via this connection type.

If your bank is on the list, you can setup online banking with these banks by going to Online --> Set Up Online Banking. Then select 'New Connection' and choose your financial institution from the list. You may need to contact your bank to enable Direct Connect access and for your username and pin (which generally differ from those used for online banking).

Without Direct Connect, the best way to get your files into Moneydance is to use a web browser to download them from your bank's web site. You can download into QFX, OFX or OFC files (aka Quicken or MS Money files), any of which will import cleanly into Moneydance. You can also open your bank's download page directly (after entering the appropriate address in the Account --> Edit Account menu) by going to the menu bar and selecting Online --> Open Account Website, which makes the download process easier.

Bank of America has recently discontinued their support for new direct connect activations. However, if your account was activated for direct connect before they turned off support, you should still be able to connect in Moneydance. If this is the case, please advise and I can provide the advanced setup for this.

You are able to add, amend and delete categories within the Tools --> Categories menu. These can be added to transactions and then reported on within the Tools --> Graphs and Reports menu. If you go to 'Income and Expense' report for example, you'll see the settings which can be amended before the report is generated. You'll see 'all income' and 'all expense' highlighted at the bottom of the window. Select 'Show: by individual' to see a list of your categories which can be added to the report individually.

If you haven't already, I encourage you to download our free trial version and experiment with the program before you decide if you would like to purchase it. The demo version is fully functional and allows you to manually enter 100 transactions. Imported transactions are not limited, so you'll be able to fully test importing your data from Quicken.

If you decide to purchase the program at a later date you can keep all your data, the license key simply unlocks the ability to manually enter more transactions. You can download the trial version of Moneydance from here.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have any questions or need assistance getting your data imported correctly.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

On Tue, May 10 at 06:27 PM PDT, Terry wrote:

Ben

I really don’t use all of the Quicken Features. Here is a summary of what I require.

1. Bill pay from Moneydance to several different accounts at either Bank Of America or Keystone Credit union.

2. Download of Credit card transaction from Bank oF America, Citibank, American Express and Capital One. Maybe some others as well.

3. Categorization of Transaction – I.e Rental Expense and Sub category of those such as Rental Expense - Insurance, Rental Expense- mortgage , and so on.

4. Flexible reporting by Category and sub category (For income tax purposes)

What do you think?

Terry Sopira

Tel:650-245-2701

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Quicken 2013 Transition.

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

5. 5 Posted by Ben Spencer on 11 May, 2016 02:51 PM

Yes, categories and memos will get imported. I encourage you to try out the transfer with the trial version of Moneydance which you can download from here:
    http://infinitekind.com/download-moneydance-personal-finance-software

Ben Spencer
    Infinite Kind Support

6. System closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2016 02:34 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac