Connect to UK bank - Nationwide

Clive Burford

24 May, 2022 09:26 PM

Hi
I've had a licenced copy of Moneydance for a number of years - I love it because it is a cross platform app which I find extremely useful. However the fact it could not connect and automatically reconcile with my (UK) Nationwide bank account was always a frustration. To the extent that I subscribed to another Mac only banking app that does connect to Nationwide using SaltEdge. The app is not, in my opinion as good as Moneydance, and is not cross-platform, but the auto reconcile function is extremely useful to me.
So when I saw Moneydance 2022 released, with a subscription based online banking connector, I thought that Moneydance had caught up!! But alas not, since upgrading I find that my UK bank (Nationwide) is still not supported.
Please could you confirm that linking online to Nationwide will be possible in the future, and could you give me an idea of when this might be possible. What is the holdup? I really want to use Moneydance more fully, and become an advocate, but without this crucial feature (that other apps have) I am afraid it still does not deliver to the extent I know it could.
I hope to hear from you soon,
Clive B

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 24 May, 2022 10:14 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Clive

I hope support will reply to your post with an update, but until then this is what I know.

Sean the Moneydance developer has allowed me to beta test the version of Moneydance+ using the third-party Plaid, which includes UK Open Banking.

My bank works perfectly with Moneydance+. Click Download in the Moneydance register and transactions download. There seems to be only a delay of a few hours from a transaction appearing on my online account and Moneydance+ being able to download it.

I am not a Nationwide customer but using the Moneydance+ feature I did get to the Nationwide login page, see screen shot, so it looks like they will be supported then the UK its added as a Moneydance+ general release.

Hope this helps.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Maddy on 25 May, 2022 11:33 AM

Hi Clive,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

Currently, Moneydance supports automatic downloads using Direct Connect or Moneydance + but unfortunately neither of these automatic connection methods are supported by UK banks, at the moment.

Although we are in the process of getting Moneydance + fully enabled to work with UK banks, unfortunately we are unable to confirm a definite release day, yet!

Without Direct Connect, you are still able to easily import your data into the program.
    We'd recommend you use the OFX or QFX file format if either of these are available. If not, use the QIF file format. You can find the steps for manually importing your data in this article.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

3. 3 Posted by Clive Burford on 25 May, 2022 12:22 PM

Thank you for both of your responses.

I like Moneydance and will continue using it, downloading my bank data automatically for now. Connecting to the bank for auto-updates will be the icing on the cake though, and I look forward to the day when it is possible. I guess my biggest frustration is that other apps, which are less functional in many ways, can already link to UK banks but I guess the best is worth waiting for! I hope its not too long a wait ;-)

If you need any beta testers for the UK bank link, once you are at that stage, I'd be happy to get involved.

4. 4 Posted by JimRB on 01 Jun, 2022 03:26 PM

@maddy You suggest "We'd recommend you use the OFX or QFX file format if either of these are available. If not, use the QIF file format."

Happily NatWest has always offered OFX which works smoothly in MD.

BUT many UK Banks do not offer any of those options. HSBC and Virgin (formerly Yorkshire) only offer CSV, but they merge some of the details.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Maddy on 01 Jun, 2022 03:29 PM

Hi Jim,

CSV files can also be imported, but unfortunately the import process is a little more involved. CSV files were not designed to transfer data to personal finance programs, so there is no standard format or layout for these files.

If CSV is the only format available, you'll be able to import the file to Moneydance using File --> Import. During the import process, you'll assign the columns in your CSV file to fields within the Moneydance account register as outlined here.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

6. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 01 Jun, 2022 03:50 PM

I'm with HSBC and they offer me OFX

7. 7 Posted by jim barton on 01 Jun, 2022 06:58 PM

Thanks for that update. I don't have an account with them now.

8. System closed this discussion on 31 Aug, 2022 07:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac