Creating transfers from existing transactions

rsibrent

24 May, 2016 01:33 PM

Hello,

I'm converting from Quicken and have imported transactions both from my bank, credit card companies, and Quicken into Moneydance. I've updated the categories and everything looks fine except for transfers.

The credit card transactions show payments from my checking account and the checking account shows payments to the credit cards. These transactions should be linked as transfers, but when I do that, Moneydance increments or decrements the balances again in the respective accounts. This throws the account balances off since the transactions are already there.

Seems there should be a way to do this when the transfer transactions both exist without changing the balance. The only other alternative I can think of is to delete one of the transactions and let Moneydance add it back. That seems a bit of a nuisance.

Thanks.

Brent

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 09 Jul, 2016 03:57 PM

Hi Brent

Typically moneydance would link these transactions when importing from another program. I am not sure why that hasn't happened in this case, did you make sure to set the "File Source" option on the QIF import window to "From another program". I suggest manually setting the category on one of the transactions to link it and then delete the other unlinked transactions.

Ben Spencer
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by rsibrent on 09 Jul, 2016 05:05 PM

Yes, I actually did the import twice - once before and once after I discovered the "from another program" problem. I'm not sure who is creating the data found in "transaction details." Is that something that MD accumulates as it's processing the raw data from the bank, or is that a standard format that payers use? I'm guessing the former since some of the descriptions are totally unrelated to the rest of the data and would only be known internally by MD.
    At any rate, I'm muddling through. I've still had some odd data, but I correct it before I confirm it and it does seem to be improving slightly on subsequent downloads. Thanks for checking back in. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if anything else arises.

To: [email blocked]
     Sent: Saturday, July 9, 2016 11:57 AM
     Subject: Re: Creating transfers from existing transactions [Switching to Moneydance #2104]

#yiv7662913785 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv7662913785 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

3. System closed this discussion on 08 Oct, 2016 05:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac