Selective QIF import

bitbucket

29 Jun, 2022 05:37 PM

I switched to Moneydance from Quicken (2015) last October. As a Quicken user since the 90s, my quicken database has a ton of stuff I didn't want to bring into Moneydance. I created a new data set, created all the accounts I wanted, and basically started from that point in time (only manually entering a few prior transactions to correctly establish a "boundary" snapshot so that things like credit card bill cycles would align etc). Last week I finally got around to trying to bring in some of the account history for a small number of the accounts I brought over to Moneydance. To do this, I opened quicken and exported--one at a time--each account I wanted to import up to the "boundary" date. I would do QIF export from quicken just for the single account, and would then import the QIF into Moneydance. Once imported I would clean up the historical data so that the individual account was correct. Then I'd go to the next account, export just that QIF, import, clean up, etc. It all worked perfectly and after about 2 hours of work I had the accurate history of the accounts I wanted in Moneydance without the 20+ years of other old, closed accounts that I didn't want or need to bring over. All was right with the world and everything looked fine. Over the next week I used Moneydance as normal and everything looked and acted fine.

Last night Windows rebooted my machine because of an update, and when I reopened Moneydance today all of a sudden I had a mess. My nice neat left side bar had every single account from 25 years of quicken listed, with random balances that are incorrect (and irrelevant). I have no idea how Moneydance got any of the info. When I was evaluating Moneydance I did do a complete QIF dump from Quicken and imported that, but once I purchased Moneydance I abandoned that data set and created a new one from scratch. My only guess is that there were transactions in the history of some of the accounts I wanted that were transfers to/from these old dead accounts, so Moneydance created accounts that I didn't want. Either that or somehow Moneydance decided to pull in the QIF file that was still sitting around. To make sure I hadn't screwed up the single file import, I manually inspected the QIF files that I made to ensure that I had not accidentally exported more than just the one-account-at-a-time that I had wanted and the QIF files were fine.

While I know it may be odd to do this, I want the record but not the second account itself--meaning, if 20 years ago I had a (now closed) credit card account, and 20 years ago I transferred funds from a (still in use) bank account to pay a credit card bill, I want to see that payment in the transaction history for the bank account, but I don't want the credit card account to exist because it's dead. I don't care that the transaction goes to a non-existent account because I only care about one side of the transaction. Even though I could hide the second account in Moneydance, I don't really want to do that because with about 25 years of data built up over 10 different versions of Quicken and many kludges and hacks embedded as a result of various Quicken deficiencies in prior versions I wanted this new database to be clean, where I could have history where I needed it but get rid of all the cruft. I also didn't want to have to clean up all the accounts for the usual QIF import issues since several of these accounts had literally thousands of transactions in them.

So this leads to my questions: 1. When you import QIF for a single account, and a transaction is found that involves a second account that doesn't exist in Moneydance, does Moneydance create the account automatically? 2. If so, can I just delete the (second) account it creates without impacting the account I want? If I know I can just go into Moneydance and actually delete/expunge all the old accounts without causing ripple effects in the accounts I want then I can clean up this mess that way. Otherwise I'm going to have to restore a pre-import backup and forget about getting the 'selective' account history.

Thoughts?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 29 Jun, 2022 10:58 PM

I'm a fellow user.

To answer your questions

1. Yes Moneydance will create the second account and post a transaction to it.

2. No you cannot delete the second account as it will delete the transaction from the first account in the process.

Moneydance is based on the rules of double entry accounting and the prime rule is that for every credit there must be a corresponding and equal debit, so in other words you cannot have only one side of a transaction. So for each transaction you enter there has to be either an other account or a category.

I have an Investment that goes back to the early 1980's with transfers from a bank account, but my account history does not go back that far. So I have that old account with only a few transactions in it, but so that it does not have any impact on things like net worth I have marked it as inactive. When a account it marked inactive it still exists so the other side of transactions have the desired effect but any total in the account does not get included anywhere. I have also removed the account from the summary page and side bar.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac