Moneydance compared to money?

Jeff Horne

29 May, 2016 05:40 PM

I have been using MS Money for years with no problems and I loved the interface. My bank no longer supports Money, so I can no longer download transactions, which defeats the purpose of the program.

Does Money dance allow me to download transactions, because I cannot see it offered at my bank. See attachment.

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 29 May, 2016 06:24 PM

Hi Jeff,

I use MS Money in parallel with Moneydance.

It looks as though Presidents Choice Financial is offering the Intuit Quicken file format for manual downloads.

Can I assume that selecting 'Intuit Quicken' produces a QIF file? or maybe a QFX file?

If so, then yes, Moneydance can easily import a QIF file or a QFX file (but so can MS Money)

Again, if a QIF or QFX file is provided, try manually importing one of those file formats into MS Money. You shouldn't have any problem.

I see that P.C.F. also offers the CSV file format. Moneydance can also import CSV files into bank and credit card accounts through the use of a Moneydance extension.

The only option for CSV file imports into MS Money is to convert the CSV to QIF through an XL2QIF converter.

Moneydance comes in a free trial version if you want to try it out.
    http://infinitekind.com/download-moneydance-personal-finance-software

HTH -Kevin N.

2. 2 Posted by mandobrit on 29 May, 2016 08:43 PM

Hi Kevin,

Thank you so much for telling me I could import a QFX, never thought about doing that. It isn't as seamless as when Presidents Choice Financial had it on their list, but at least I can make it work now. Still like MS Money way more than Quicken. I did purchase Quicken, but returned it after finding it was so cumbersome.

Thanks again,

Jeff

3. 3 Posted by -Kevin N. on 29 May, 2016 09:03 PM

Hi Jeff,

You're welcome. Glad to be of help.

I find some things that I like better in MS Money so I keep it around. Some of the reports and the customizable portfolio display especially.

There are some clever people who have put together a couple of free apps for MS Money. One that updates stock quotes and one that lets the user connect to financial institutions that provide direct-connect OFX servers.

Between the two of them, there has been little reason to abandon MS Money.

Never hat the "Pleasure" of using Quicken. :)

-Kevin N.

4. 4 Posted by mandobrit on 29 May, 2016 09:12 PM

Hi Kevin,

I'd be interested to know about the app that lets you know which financial institutions have direct-connect OFX servers.

Thanks
    Jeff

5. 5 Posted by -Kevin N. on 29 May, 2016 09:26 PM

Hi Jeff,

The app that connects to a financial institution's OFX server is called Pocketsense.
    https://sites.google.com/site/pocketsense/home

It is a little on the geeky side, (maybe a lot) but once it's set up, it works well.

If you're looking for information on which financial institutions offer OFX servers, take a look here:
    http://www.ofxhome.com/

HTH -Kevin N.

6. System closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2016 02:36 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac