importing quicken data

PETER GARRETT

05 Jun, 2016 08:26 AM

I have just purchased money dance and don't appear to have any instructions, a manual or anything to tell me how to use it. The first thing I want to do is import my data files from Quicken but I have no idea how to do this or anything els for that matter!
Peter G

1. 1 Posted by PETER GARRETT on 05 Jun, 2016 08:29 AM

I don't appear to have a "welcome to money dance page

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Jenny on 05 Jun, 2016 08:47 AM

Hi Peter,

When importing your data, if the QIF file format is available to you when exporting from Quicken, you should follow these steps. In particular make sure you specify to Import into a new account rather than an existing account. And you set the source to "From another program".
    It is highly recommended to export all Quicken data into a single QIF file, as doing so makes the import process much smoother. Please use the option in Quicken to export "all accounts" if available. The one exception to this is if you have accounts in more than one currency - if thats the case, then you can follow these steps to import multiple QIF files.

You can find the Moneydance 'Getting Started' articles here which contain details of the basic MD functions. You can also find the full User Guide here which contains information about all of the Moneydance features.

And of course, if you have any questions or need assistance, please let us know and a member of the support team will get back to you shortly.

If you've bypassed the 'Welcome to Moneydance' window and want to get back to that screen, then you can access it again within Moneydance by going to Window --> Welcome To Moneydance.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

3. 3 Posted by Peter C Garrett on 12 Jun, 2016 08:37 AM

Hi Jenny
    I am having difficulty exporting anything from Quicken. When I go to File-export, the only options that come up are”Addresses” and "Desktop Super”, no other options are shown.
    Where do I go from here? I don’t really want to start from the beginning opening all new accounts and copying balances manually but if necessary I will have to do this from a print out from an end of financial year report, but of course this will give no history that a data transfer would.
    Peter Garrett

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ethan on 12 Jun, 2016 12:47 PM

Hello Peter,

Can you clarify which version of Quicken you are using and for which operating system?

Ethan
    Moneydance Support

5. 5 Posted by Peter C Garrett on 12 Jun, 2016 01:58 PM

Hi Ethan
    I am using Reckon Personal 2013

Peter G

6. 6 Posted by Peter C Garrett on 12 Jun, 2016 02:02 PM

Hi Ethan
    Sorry forgot to say, it is operating on Windows 10 and I updated the 2011 version to 2013 a couple of years ago.

Peter G

7. 7 Posted by dwg on 12 Jun, 2016 09:31 PM

That is the Australian version.

Does it still have an Export to Excel compatible option?

8. 8 Posted by Peter C Garrett on 13 Jun, 2016 08:09 AM

The only options that I can find under “File-Export” are the two items I mentioned previously. The only items that I can copy and and transfer appear to be my data backups which are no good on their own.
    Peter G

9. 9 Posted by dwg on 13 Jun, 2016 08:48 AM

The methodology is somewhat more convoluted than a simple export unfortunately - Reckon do not like you to migrate, they rather you continue to pay them for new versions every couple of years (or yearly if you are a subscriber)

If you are getting the impression I detest Reckon, you are correct! It's a long story.

To migrate from Reckon to anything else is going to take some work, there is no escaping that and because they make it difficult it creates more work.

The following pointer gives a document and a spreadsheet, the document gets you started on what you need and the methodology.

http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/importing-data-from-banks-and-other...

Michael used pristine data in developing his spreadsheet, my data was not as pristine and with Michael's approval I extended his spreadsheet. I've attached a zip file called Quicken transaction to QIF RevB. This has a spreadsheet and a PDF. The PDF describes the additions/changes. The spreadsheet is unlocked so you can see exactly what it does.

Nether of these spreadsheets is capable of handling investment data so I built a spreadsheet for this it is in the zip file Reckon Personal Plus Investments.

Again it has a PDF and the spreadsheet is unlocked, it uses a lot of VBA code to move the data around. The code is not pristine it was never intended to be more than single use, hence the only criteria was it worked. It does not have all transaction types in it, just what I needed.

Use the files and modify them as you require.

Good luck.

10. 10 Posted by petergarrett2 on 13 Jun, 2016 01:54 PM

Thank you, I have downloaded and printed the method and will work though it in the next few days. I will let you know how it all goes.Peter G

Sent from Samsung tablet.-------- Original message --------From: dwg <[email blocked]> Date: 13/06/2016 4:48 pm (GMT+08:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: importing quicken data [Switching to Moneydance #2208]

11. 11 Posted by Peter C Garrett on 22 Jun, 2016 06:05 AM

I have followed your instructions but unfortunately have got stuck with the conversion. I have got to “Quicken transaction to Qif” and the excel spreadsheet looks fine. After completing the details in the box XL2QIF Excel to QIF converter, when I press convert an error message appears. After spending too much time on this I have decided to start afresh next financial year, (1 July 2016). I will print out all my end of year reports from Quicken and use the balances to start on Moneydance, there will probably be some things that I won’t understand, however I am reading your user guide and think most should be straight forward. Thank you for your guidance so far, I’m sure we will be in touch again some time soon.
    Peter G
    13 Jun 2016, at 4:48 PM, dwg <[email blocked]> wrote:

// Please reply above this line 
    ================================================== 

The methodology is somewhat more convoluted than a simple export unfortunately - Reckon do not like you to migrate, they rather you continue to pay them for new versions every couple of years (or yearly if you are a subscriber)

If you are getting the impression I detest Reckon, you are correct! It's a long story.

To migrate from Reckon to anything else is going to take some work, there is no escaping that and because they make it difficult it creates more work.

The following pointer gives a document and a spreadsheet, the document gets you started on what you need and the methodology.

http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/importing-data-from-banks-and-other...

Michael used pristine data in developing his spreadsheet, my data was not as pristine and with Michael's approval I extended his spreadsheet. I've attached a zip file called Quicken transaction to QIF RevB. This has a spreadsheet and a PDF. The PDF describes the additions/changes. The spreadsheet is unlocked so you can see exactly what it does.

Nether of these spreadsheets is capable of handling investment data so I built a spreadsheet for this it is in the zip file Reckon Personal Plus Investments.

Again it has a PDF and the spreadsheet is unlocked, it uses a lot of VBA code to move the data around. The code is not pristine it was never intended to be more than single use, hence the only criteria was it worked. It does not have all transaction types in it, just what I needed.

Use the files and modify them as you require.

Good luck.

On Mon, Jun 13 at 01:09 AM PDT, Peter C Garrett wrote:

The only options that I can find under “File-Export” are the two items I mentioned previously. The only items that I can copy and and transfer appear to be my data backups which are no good on their own. 
    Peter G

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: importing quicken data.

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

<Quicken_transaction_to_QIF_RevB.zip><Reckon_Personal_Plus_Investments.zip>

12. System closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2016 02:36 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac