Import from Quicken2013 some transactions are missing

Phil

13 Jun, 2016 05:27 PM

I imported almost 20 years of data from quicken 2013 in one file.Some accounts transferred perfectly;they are mainly credit cards and asets.But some of the accounts with more transactions such as the checking account and a health savings account are missing a large number of transactions; in the checking account itself there are enough missing that there is about a $10,000 difference. Could I delete that account from moneydance and attempt another import with just that account?
thanks

1. 1 Posted by Ian O on 14 Jun, 2016 12:06 PM

Hi Phil,

Can you confirm that when importing from Quicken, you have followed these steps? In particular ensure you specify to Import into a new account rather than an existing account. And you set the source to "From another program".
    It is highly recommended to export all Quicken data into a single QIF file, as doing so makes the import process much smoother. Please use the option in Quicken to export "all accounts" if available. The one exception to this is if you have accounts in more than one currency - if thats the case, then you can follow these steps to import multiple QIF files.

If you'd like to attempt the import process again, within Moneydance, you can go to File --> New. This will create a new blank data set. You can move between data sets within File --> Open, where any data files will be listed.

Can you confirm that there are transactions missing, or does it simply appear that the balance is not correct? If the balance is wrong, then the most likely cause is the QIF file did not include an initial balance transfer as the first transaction for the account. Some QIF files include this initial balance transfer some don't it depends on the version of Quicken you are using. You may need to set the initial balance on your accounts in Moneydance manually. To do this go into the account register and select Account --> Edit Account, and enter an amount in the initial balance field.
    You may also wish to refer to this article which details the most common issues after a QIF import and how to resolve.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Phil on 14 Jun, 2016 12:40 PM

On 6/14/2016 8:07 AM, Ian O wrote:
    pre { width: 92%; margin: 10px 2%; padding: 5px 2%; background: #efefef; border: 1px solid #d6d6d6 } blockquote { margin-left: 0; padding-left: 1em; border-left: 5px solid #ccc; }

//I followed the below steps exactly. The initial balances are correct. I can just give the checking account a cursory look and see that there is a significant number of missing transactions; from just the last 2 months most transactions are missing. Thanks
    ==================================================

Hi Phil,

Can you confirm that when importing from Quicken, you have followed these steps? In particular ensure you specify to Import into a new account rather than an existing account. And you set the source to "From another program".
    It is highly recommended to export all Quicken data into a single QIF file, as doing so makes the import process much smoother. Please use the option in Quicken to export "all accounts" if available. The one exception to this is if you have accounts in more than one currency - if thats the case, then you can follow these steps to import multiple QIF files.

If you'd like to attempt the import process again, within Moneydance, you can go to File --> New. This will create a new blank data set. You can move between data sets within File --> Open, where any data files will be listed.

Can you confirm that there are transactions missing, or does it simply appear that the balance is not correct? If the balance is wrong, then the most likely cause is the QIF file did not include an initial balance transfer as the first transaction for the account. Some QIF files include this initial balance transfer some don't it depends on the version of Quicken you are using. You may need to set the initial balance on your accounts in Moneydance manually. To do this go into the account register and select Account --> Edit Account, and enter an amount in the initial balance field.
    You may also wish to refer to this article which details the most common issues after a QIF import and how to resolve.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

On Mon, Jun 13 at 10:27 AM PDT, Phil wrote:

I imported almost 20 years of data from quicken 2013 in one file.Some accounts transferred perfectly;they are mainly credit cards and asets.But some of the accounts with more transactions such as the checking account and a health savings account are missing a large number of transactions; in the checking account itself there are enough missing that there is about a $10,000 difference. Could I delete that account from moneydance and attempt another import with just that account?
    thanks

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Import from Quicken2013 some transactions are missing.

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

3. 3 Posted by Phil on 20 Jun, 2016 01:11 PM

I followed the above referenced directions exactly.The initial balances on all accounts are correct.But as I mentioned for some accounts such as the checking there are a significant number of missing transactions.
    I thought it might be useful to uninstall moneydance and start over. So I did that but it's not removing the data files.Guess I can try again.Nonetheless I still have the original question.Would it work to remove the checking account and import a file just for that?

4. 4 Posted by Ian O on 20 Jun, 2016 01:59 PM

Hi Phil,

Your Moneydance data is stored separately from the software, this is to avoid accidental deletion. Uninstalling and reinstalling will not remove your already created data sets. Your data is stored an a 'yourfilename'.moneydance file and you can locate the default location of these within Moneydance by navigating to Help --> Show Documents Folder.

I'd recommend starting a new data set, as I detailed in my last reply. This will allow you to try the import again into a blank data set. If you wish to delete data sets you have already created you can follow the steps in this article.

You may have better luck importing you accounts as individual QIF files, as detailed at the bottom of this article. We usually recommend exporting all your data as a single QIF file but you may get a better result exporting an individual QIF file for each account.

Most customers are able to migrate from Quicken without issues. However, I'm afraid they do not always make it easy, and depending on version it sometimes seems they try to make it impossible. Please let me know how you get on after attempting the 'QIF per account' method, and I'll provide assistance if you're still having problems.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by Phil on 24 Jun, 2016 04:21 PM

I tried again but did something different this time as most accounts are wrong. I noticed when exporting quicken numerous options of data to export. Do I just export transactions or also accounts?

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Ethan on 24 Jun, 2016 05:25 PM

Hello,

You should export all of your data into one QIF file, transactions and accounts.

Ethan
    Moneydance Support

7. System closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2016 02:37 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac