Uploading CSV/Excel

alain

04 Aug, 2016 12:10 PM

Hi All,

I have been trying to upload csv's via the text file import plug in, its driving me mad, do you have a CSV template that i can populate ? no matter how i adjust the csv after i try import it there is nothing, im i missing something ?

Surely this shouldnt be so complicated.

Please assist

Kind regards

Alain

1. 1 Posted by TonyRI on 04 Aug, 2016 01:13 PM

Hi Alain,

I'm a new user and just trying to help.

Not sure if you've seen this Knowledge Base article yet, or not:

http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/importing-data-from-banks-and-other...

Fortunately, I just have one Credit Card that only offers CSV files as a downloadable file. All others are Direct Connect, or file formats that are automatically recognized by Moneydance (QFX, OFX, etc.).

Anyway, I did have to "massage" the CSV file in excel first, prior to performing the import (Credits and Debits are opposite in the bank provided file, so I have to change + - signs). My CSV file worked with the Text File Importer default settings (UTF-8, Tab delimited, etc). I set the import fields to just 3 (Date, Amount, Description). During the import, it is, obviously, important to link the file to the appropriate Account.

Here is a discussion that provided different settings and images that my be useful to you:

http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/problems/15777-importing-c...

Hope that you are able to get things working.

Regards,

Tony

2. 2 Posted by alain on 04 Aug, 2016 01:48 PM

Thanks Tony, I did find CSV2QIF that seems to be really good however when I upload to my money dance the figure in the balance changes but I can’t see the transactions, also so you know I have use Adobe DC to convert a pdf to a excel that I then fix up and save as a CSV long story but beats trying to input each transaction.

Any help always appreciated.

Kind regards

Alain

3. 3 Posted by alain on 04 Aug, 2016 01:50 PM

So can easily save any file format now just need to get the mapping correct any ideas ? as its changing the balance but the transactions are not showing ( I have selected all in the top tab on the dash)

Sent: 04 August 2016 02:48 PM
    To: '[email blocked]'
    Subject: RE: Uploading CSV/Excel [Switching to Money dance #2642]

Thanks Tony, I did find CSV2QIF that seems to be really good however when I upload to my money dance the figure in the balance changes but I can’t see the transactions, also so you know I have use Adobe DC to convert a pdf to a excel that I then fix up and save as a CSV long story but beats trying to input each transaction.

Any help always appreciated.

Kind regards

Alain

4. 4 Posted by -Kevin N. on 04 Aug, 2016 02:02 PM

Hi Alain,

If you access the account in question, is there a header bar at the bottom of the register?

It may have a statement on it saying something to the effect that you have 'x' amount of unconfirmed transactions.

If so, click the 'split window' icon in the upper right-hand corner of the register (next to the 'new transaction' button). Doing so will integrate the unconfirmed txns into the register.

If this does not resolve the issue, you may want to post a small sample of your bank's CSV file. I'd be happy to try and help you set up the Importer. I would need to see at least 1 debit txn and 1 credit txn to see how they are formatted. Include the header row and / or footer row (if any).

Keep in mind that these are public forums so make sure that there is no sensitive information in the CSV before posting it.

-Kevin N.

5. 5 Posted by alain on 04 Aug, 2016 02:27 PM

HI Kevin,

Nope I don’t see anything like that, please see attached, this is the basic basic one IO tried, date, description, amount,

Thanks Again,

Alain

6. 6 Posted by -Kevin N. on 04 Aug, 2016 02:40 PM

Hi Alain,

I was able to import your CSV file using the Text Importer.

Take a look at the attached screenshot.

There were no Credit txn in the CSV file so I'm not certain how they are formatted which may result in problems.

If the screenshot looks OK to you could you then attach a sample with a Credit txn so that I can be sure that the importer will work properly for you?

Also can you let me know if this is for a Bank account or a Credit Card account.

-Kevin N.

7. 7 Posted by alain on 04 Aug, 2016 02:55 PM

Thanks, It’s for a bank account, please can you explain what a Credit txn is sorry I know that is a simple question,

8. 8 Posted by -Kevin N. on 04 Aug, 2016 03:10 PM

Hi Alain,

What I mean by a Credit txn is a Deposit. I need to see how the Deposits are formatted as opposed to the Withdrawals.

-Kevin N.

9. 9 Posted by alain on 05 Aug, 2016 02:33 PM

Hi Kevin,

I’m now at the stage where I feel like committing myself to the loony bin, still nothing on the text editor not picking up anything on my side any ideas please?

Kind regards

Alain

10. 10 Posted by -Kevin N. on 06 Aug, 2016 12:56 AM

Hi Alain,

I imported your CSV with the Text Importer set to the following parameters:

Screen 1:
    When the Text Importer opens, navigate to your CSV file or click Browse - navigate to your .CSV file.
    Encoding - UTF-8
    Click 'Next'.

Screen 2:
    Account - select the desired account to import the data into.
    Fields Delimiter - [ , ]
    Date Format - DMY
    Decimal Point - .
    Click 'Next'.

Screen 3:
    Field 1 - Date
    Field 2 - Description
    Field 3 - Amount

Click the 'Less Fields' button so that you have ONLY the 3 required fields showing.
    Click 'Finish'.

I can not guarantee that these setting will work properly for you because you didn't supply me with a CSV file that contained any Deposit transactions.

HTH -Kevin N.

11. System closed this discussion on 05 Nov, 2016 01:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

02 Mar, 2024 09:57 AM
02 Mar, 2024 08:27 AM
02 Mar, 2024 05:53 AM