Upgrade problem

's Avatar

fishflyer

17 Aug, 2015 03:52 PM

I purchased a product key for MD 2010. Recently the program stopped accepting new transactions. How do I transfer all my old data to the newest MD? What is the cost to upgrade? Will I have to pay an upgrade fee in the future?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 18 Aug, 2015 02:57 PM

Hello,

First, Moneydance shouldn't just stop accepting new transactions. If you would like help sorting out why that may be happening, we can work on that. Can you please clarify exactly what you mean by this? Are you getting an error message, and if so, what is it?

If you do want to upgrade, since you purchased a previous version of Moneydance you are entitled to a discounted upgrade price of $24.99. If you want to run Moneydance 2015 you will need to purchase an upgrade key. To confirm your license for a discounted upgrade, submit your license key using the following form:

http://infinitekind.com/purchase

If you don't know your license key you can see it by running Moneydance and selecting Help->About Moneydance (or Moneydance->About Moneydance on a Mac), or by using the 'Lost Key' tool on the purchase page.

You should be able to keep using whatever version of Moneydance you purchased as long as it still runs on your computer. We don't charge fees to keep using versions you have already purchased. Typically we allow users to upgrade to the next version for free, but upgrading beyond that would require one to purchase an upgrade license key.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Ethan
    Moneydance Support

2. 2 Posted by David Fisher on 19 Aug, 2015 04:06 PM

The error says that my copy of MD is not registered now and I am limited to 100 transactions although I have used it for years. I still have my purchase key, but I don’t see where to enter it. So I would like to make my old program work.

I would also like to do the upgrade since I assume this product is better. I am happy to pay the discounted price and I did download the MD 2015 program. I am now trying to figure out how to transfer my old transactions to the new program. I assume I use the export function, but I don’t know what format the new program will read. I made up some exported files in but the new program does not recognize them.

Do I need to activate the new program to get it to work? What am I doing wrong with the export so that all the data transfers?

Thanks again for your help.

3. 3 Posted by Scott Meehan on 19 Aug, 2015 10:49 PM

Hi David,

Here's your license key:

B1002606-06321967

Your license key is for the 2010 version of Moneydance, which entitles you to use the 2010, 2011, and 2012 versions. The 2012 version can be downloaded from here:

http://infinitekind.com/download_2012

Your license key also entitles you to a 50% discount off the latest version of Moneydance. If you'd prefer to upgrade and redeem this discount, you can go here:

http://infinitekind.com/purchase

and enter your license key in the "Upgrading?" box, and then follow the instructions from there to purchase your new discounted key.

You don't have to export anything from Moneydance 2010 to get your data into Moneydance 2015. I would suggest following these instructions:

http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/moneydance-2015/upgrading-to-moneydance-2015-from-moneydance-2011-or-earlier

to finish your upgrade to Moneydance 2015. Did your transactions not show up when you opened Moneydance 2015? By default, they should.

Scott Meehan
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by fishflyer on 19 Aug, 2015 11:37 PM

The transactions showed up only through 2012. Happy to upgrade if I can get all my data over. Any suggestions? If I complete the upgrade will all the transactions show up? 

Dave [email blocked] 

5. 5 Posted by Scott Meehan on 20 Aug, 2015 03:31 PM

Hi Dave,

When you upgraded, did your transactions (the limited amount that you're seeing now) show up automatically after opening Moneydance, or did you open a file to get them into Moneydance? If you opened a file, can you tell me the filename, including the extension, that you opened, and also how you opened it?

Scott Meehan
    Infinite Kind Support

6. 6 Posted by fishflyer on 20 Aug, 2015 04:17 PM

They showed up automatically.

Dave [email blocked] 

7. 7 Posted by David Fisher on 20 Aug, 2015 05:04 PM

So using my old key I got my old version of Moneydance working again and registered. I don’t know why it dropped out. I would like to upgrade now. I back up my data on every exit.
    When I tried to reopen my downloaded (trial) version of MD 2015 it does not open at all now.
    Should I delete it and start over?

8. 8 Posted by Scott Meehan on 20 Aug, 2015 06:27 PM

Hi Dave,

Yes, I would suggest removing the Moneydance 2015 application and downloading a new one from here:

http://infinitekind.com/downloads

Also, I would recommend resetting your Moneydance 2015 settings folder. To do this, you have to rename your settings folder. If you're using Mac OS X, it should be located at one of these locations within your Home folder:

Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/

or:

Library/Application Support/Moneydance/

If you have any trouble finding your Home Library folder, open Finder and select Go>Go to Folder> and type in:

~/Library

This should pull up your local Library folder.

If you're using Windows, it should be located at:

C:\Users\\(yourusername)\\.moneydance\

Once you've found your settings folder, close Moneydance 2015 and rename it (to something like Moneydance-old, for example), then open Moneydance 2015 again and it should take you back through the upgrade process.

Scott Meehan
    Infinite Kind Support

9. 9 Posted by David Fisher on 21 Aug, 2015 12:15 AM

I installed a new copy of MD 2015. I still have the same issue. It cannot locate any of my old backups or exports except for a file I named 2012 expense. This data stops on 6/1/2013.

I tried to search for my settings folder in finder and I cannot locate it with any of your methods listed below.

Any other suggestions or could you call me to talk through it.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Ethan on 21 Aug, 2015 02:15 PM

It sounds like you now have the 2015 version running? If so, we can forget about the configuration file from Scott's last message. Let me know if I've misunderstood what you wrote.

As for the data file, please try searching your entire computer for all files and folders that end with either the .moneydance or .md file extension. If you find any other data files, you can try to open them by using the open other option from the Moneydance welcome screen or the menu bar (File -> Open -> Open Other) to select your yourfilename.moneydance or yourfilename.md data sets, and see if they contain more up to date information.

Ethan
    Moneydance Support

11. 11 Posted by David Fisher on 21 Aug, 2015 02:33 PM

OK. I saved everything from my old MD program through the archive function and imported all that to MD 2015 and finally it worked.
    Now can you suggest the best way to get my balances back to being to correct? They are way off.
    Also ,AMEX does not use any of the old formats (QIF, OFX, etc.) to download transactions. Is there a better way to get the transaction on that account than manual entry?
    Thanks for all your response. I look forward to using your program for years to come. Is there a place that highlights the changes to 2015 from my 2010 version?

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Ethan on 22 Aug, 2015 12:50 PM

Hello,

I'm glad to hear you've got the program working! I don't think there's a concise list of all the changes since Moneydance 2010. The best place to read about the major changes to Moneydance would be on our blog at http://infinitekind.com/blog/

There really isn't a replacement for fixing an incorrect balance other than looking through your transactions to try to find the error. If you don't want to do this and just want to get your balances correct for the future, you can create a new category called something like Balance Adjustment and enter in a transaction to make your balances correct.

What file formats does your bank offer for downloads? It is very unusual for banks to not offer any data for download in a compatible format.

Ethan
    Moneydance Support

13. System closed this discussion on 19 Mar, 2016 04:58 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac