Closed accounts in Money seem to have imported of their own volition

Bob Crocker

03 Dec, 2015 12:36 PM

I only imported my currently active accounts from MS Money but lots of old closed accounts seem to have come across as well.
In deleting them from Moneydance the balances on the active accounts have now gone wrong.
The only recourse seems to be to start again, but if I do so the same problems might start again as well.
Should I import all the closed accounts as well?
Or what?
If I uninstall Moneydance can I then install a virgin copy with which to start again and still have a trial period?
Reviews of Moneydance suggest it should meet my needs, but so far it is not doing so...

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 03 Dec, 2015 02:04 PM

When you are transferring from another program is necessary to transfer all accounts, including those that have been closed. The reason for this is that Moneydance needs to put those other side of transfers somewhere in order for the accounts to balance.

Ben Spencer
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Ben Spencer on 03 Dec, 2015 02:05 PM

In order to start again you do not need to reinstall Moneydance. Instead run Moneydance and from the menu bar select File->New...

Ben Spencer
    Infinite Kind Support

3. 3 Posted by Bob Crocker on 03 Dec, 2015 09:20 PM

Thank you for that, Ben.

Can I suggest that in the “Moving from MS Money to Moneydance” instructions, instead of saying “Re-open any closed accounts that you want to export before exporting from Microsoft Money.” You instead say what you have just told me: When you are transferring from another program is necessary to transfer all accounts, including those that have been closed. The reason for this is that Moneydance needs to put those other side of transfers somewhere in order for the accounts to balance.

I had assumed from the instructions that I only needed to export accounts that I "wanted to" meaning currently active ones...

Bob Crocker

4. 4 Posted by Bob Crocker on 03 Dec, 2015 09:26 PM

When importing QIF Files from MS Money should one tick the "Import Account Info Only" box?

5. 5 Posted by Ben Spencer on 03 Dec, 2015 09:31 PM

The "Import Account Info Only" option will just import the accounts but not the transactions. Use this option of you have accounts in multiple currencies. First you would import account info only, Then set the currency on the account in Moneydance and then import with out the option selected.

If you don't have multiple currencies you do not need this option.

Ben Spencer
    Infinite Kind Support

6. System closed this discussion on 19 Mar, 2016 05:02 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

02 Dec, 2021 06:25 PM
02 Dec, 2021 06:14 PM
02 Dec, 2021 05:45 PM