Google Drive

BillHerschel

11 Nov, 2018 05:57 PM

Oy. I just figured out the question about Dropbox.

Would it be possible to set up sync-ing with Google Drive in addition to Dropbox. I am probably going to set it up with Dropbox, or try to set it up with Dropbox, but to put it very, very, very mildly Dropbox has no ecosystem. They're probably wonderful people and it probably works very well, but until they start building laptops, phones, browsers, Office-like applications, operating systems, AI initiatives, etc. etc. they are a real niche operation.

So, I suggest that Infinite Kind set up syncing with Google Drive taking advantage of Google ID's and to take advantage of the Google ecosystem. Please.

1. 1 Posted by BillHerschel on 11 Nov, 2018 10:06 PM

Well, Infinite Kind doesn't need to do anything. I believe.

Using Google Drive, create a folder that is synced with your device. This is a folder that exists in the cloud and is synced with a folder, the same folder on the device. In the case of Chromebook, this is a folder on the Chromebook, in the Google Drive in the cloud, and on, for example, an iPhone.

I have not tested this quite yet, and the configuration I will test will be a MacBook Air and an iPhone. I do not as yet have the Linux-enabled Chromebook. But it should work. It depends on the ability of Google Drive to sync with a local folder.

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 12 Nov, 2018 04:08 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Google drive should work with desktop/notebook type systems as these can use any shared folder. However mobile devices do not use a shared folder they are using the Dropbox API to work with the transaction files, hence when using mobile type devices Dropbox is the only option today.

3. 3 Posted by BillHerschel on 12 Nov, 2018 04:31 PM

Yes, you are correct. I was mistaken. One must use Dropbox.

I really think this is an example of foot shooting, which seemed to be good
    when Dropbox was the only show in town, but which now is **limiting the
    acceptance of Moneydance**.

You see, now that Moneydance will run on Chromebooks (although I admit I
    have not directly tested it, because my Chromebook is one of the few that
    will not run Linux), and now that Google has created a Chromebook with 8g
    of RAM and 128g storage (for $817), that also has bells and whistles that
    no other laptop has, there is no reason not to go all in on the Google
    ecosystem... except Moneydance... except that the only reason to even think
    about not going all in is this Dropbox thing.

Keep Dropbox by all means, but add Google Drive... PUHLEESE!

BTW I don't work for Google or profit from Google and I used to be Mr. Mac
    in a very big way.

4. 4 Posted by -Kevin N. on 12 Nov, 2018 07:14 PM

Hi Bill,

I haven't tried syncing Moneydance using Google Drive but for a while, I did try Microsoft's Onedrive.

Every once in a while, I would receive a error message from Onedrive that one of Moneydance's internal files could not be accessed and that a duplicate file was created.

I couldn't determine whether or not this was detrimental to the integrity of my data file.

But...

It was enough for me to switch to using Dropbox. I have had no such error with using Dropbox.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

5. 5 Posted by Andre V on 08 Jan, 2019 03:09 AM

So I use Google drive to share a file across multiple desktops and mobile devices. I use PasswdSafe (https://pwsafe.org) on desktop with a file managed by Drive, and then a mobile app PasswdSafe (Android; I forget the iOS version my wife uses; Strongbox?) which also uses the file via Drive. Actually, for the Android version, I create a shortcut for the specific file, and then the association of the file type to the app launches PasswdSafe. It works really well. Is that possible with MoneyDance?

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 08 Jan, 2019 03:51 AM

I'm a fellow user

The Moneydance mobile app uses the dropbox API, hence when using the mobile app the use of Dropbox is mandatory for all devices.

7. System closed this discussion on 09 Apr, 2019 04:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

25 Jun, 2019 11:55 AM
25 Jun, 2019 10:51 AM
25 Jun, 2019 09:41 AM