Moneydance Setting up Sync Method Shared Folder to another PC.
With "Shared Folder" Moneydance syncs using a folder that is shared across computers. This could be cloud servers such as OneDrive, iCloud or Google Drive. Remember you cannot use this sync method if you won’t to sync to mobile devices (phones etc) that use the Moneydance APP.
1. Use your file browser to create a new folder in the shared drive you intend to use to sync Moneydance to other computers. Name this folder for example “Moneydance Shared Folder”.
2. Open Moneydance on your primary computer under FILE - SYNCING, set your “Encryption Passphrase”, set “Sync Method” to “Shared Folder”.
3. A new box appears “Choose folder”, click on this box.
4. A file browser screen will appear. Navigate to the shared folder you created to sync your Moneydance data set. In this example “Moneydance Shared Folder” and click “Open”, then click OK. Moneydance will create an alphanumeric folder in your selected folder to hold your syncing data.
5. On your second computer starting Moneydance should open it in the welcome window, click on “Create a new account set”. Or if it opens in to an existing account click FILE - NEW
6. Select “Open Synced File” and use dropdown to select “Shared Folder” then click NEXT.
7. Click “Connect”. A file browser screen will appear. Navigate to the folder you have designated as a shared syncing folder. In this example highlight “Moneydance Shared Folder” and click “Open”
8. The screen should now show you are connected to your designated shared folder, click “NEXT”.
9. You should see a search screen headed “Finding synced files” then “Select a synced document to open”
10. Highlight the data set name you want to sync with and click NEXT.
11. Enter the encryption password, the “Encryption Passphrase” you set on your primary computer under FILE – SYNCING.
12. Then click on FINISH. You should see the message “Performing initial sync this may take a while”.
13. Wait to syncing is complete.
You may find a lot of old, maybe closed accounts or other accounts you have removed from the side bar reappearing in the second computers side bar. Use the “+” sign at bottom of side bar then ADVANCED to tidy up the side bar.