With the Moneydance sync method "Shared Folder" Moneydance syncs using a folder that is shared across computers. To be used with Shared Folder a cloud service must provide a method to install a Cloud Folder or Virtual Drive on your computers. I have tested Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, Box.com and pCloud and they all work.
You can then enter a transaction on one computer and it will appear on the other computers after a short delay.
You can’t sync to mobile devices, phones, etc, using Shared Folder.
As a precaution do a FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – EXPORT BACKUP thus ensuring you have a Moneydance created backup of your data set.
Make sure you have the same version/build of Moneydance installed on all computers 2017 or later preferably the latest preview build from https://infinitekind.com/preview
Your data set MUST BE located on your Primary computer hard drive preferably in the location defined when in Moneydance you click HELP – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER. A Data set is a Folder not a file containing other folders and files with the naming convention your_data_set_name.moneydance
As part of the Moneydance syncing process Moneydance will create a Data Set in the same default location on the Secondary computers. Do Not move this Data Set.
Moneydance Sync method Shared Folder setup.
Download and install the cloud server app of you chose on all computers.
Use your file browser to create a new folder in the cloud server folder. Name this folder for example “Moneydance Shared Folder”.
1. Open Moneydance on your primary computer under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) - SYNCING and select SHARED FOLDER as the Sync Method .
2. Now click “Select Shared Folder”. A file browser screen will appear Navigate to the folder you set up, in this example “Moneydance Shared Folder”, highlight it and click Open then OK.
3. Now enter the Encryption Password and click OK. On older versions of Moneydance set your “Encryption Passphrase”, then set “Sync Method” to “Shared Folder” and click OK. Moneydance will create an alphanumeric folder in your selected folder to hold your syncing data. Allow time for this folder and its contents to be synced to your second computer. Check to confirm the alphanumeric folder has synced, initial sync can take some time.
4. On your second computer starting Moneydance should open it in the welcome window, click on “Create a new account set”. Or if it opens in to an existing account click FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) - NEW
5. Select “Open Synced File” and use dropdown to select “Shared Folder” then click NEXT.
6. Click “Select Shared Folder”. A file browser screen will appear. Navigate to the folder you have designated as a shared syncing folder. In this example highlight “Moneydance Shared Folder” and click “Open”. Don’t select the alphanumeric folder that was created in the shared folder or enter this folder, just highlight the shared folder itself, in this example “Moneydance Shared Folder”.
7. The screen should now show you are connected to your designated shared folder “Connected: Select Shared Folder”, click “NEXT”.
8. You may see a search screen headed “Finding synced files” which will be followed by “Select a synced document to open”
9. Highlight the data set name you want to sync with and click NEXT.
10. Enter the encryption password you set on your primary computer under FILE – SYNCING. When entered correctly the FINISH button is ungreyed.
11. Then click on FINISH. You should see the message “Performing initial sync this may take a while”.
Wait to syncing is complete.
You may find a lot of old, maybe closed accounts or other accounts you have removed from the side bar reappearing in the second computers side bar. Use the “+” sign at bottom of side bar then ADVANCED to tidy up the side bar.