Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
This is an archived document. Please refer to the more recent knowledge base articles on this page
Setting up securities in your investment account happens in two stages:
From the "securities detail" portion of you investment account choose "add security" to create or add to a list of securities that can used in transactions for this account. If you are adding this security for the first time within Moneydance, you will choose "new security" from the "add security" window. There are a number of fields you will need to enter:
A) Security ID is a unique identifier of a security within Moneydance, it's not something that has any existence outside of Moneydance. You can ignore it or you can just make it up.
B) Security Name
C) Ticker Symbol - Be sure to use the symbol used by Yahoo FInance including a "." and a letter for stocks from non American exchanges (for example a stock on the London exchange will end in ".L"
D) Price - This value can be changed either from the "history" window or by using the extensions that automatically update prices.
E) Value prefix and suffix - By default holdings are measured in shares as in equity holding. If you have some other kind of denomination for your holdings (such as contract for options) you can enter them here either as a prefix or a suffix to the price per unit of the security.
F) decimals - Be sure to enter the same number of decimals that are used in your broker's share accounting. (in most cases this will be 2)
Then fill out the rest of the security information identifying it as a stock, bond, CD, option contract etc and the particular information unique to that type of security. Most of this information is just used for identification purposes and is not used in calculations of any kind within Moneydance.
Note: after adding a security you may need to add a history of price value for this security. you can do that either by editing the history from the "history" window or you can add and use the extensions that automatically update price information from Yahoo Finance. These extensions are the "stocks/forex quotes autosynchronizer" and "Yahoo stock quotes". They are used in concert, the former configuring how the latter is used. To add these extensions choose "extensions" from the menu bar -> add -> from the internet.
- Once the security has been added, from the register you may enter transactions that reflect your holdings for this security. If you are adding initial holdings, you can enter buyxfr transactions with the category "initial holdings" as a custom income category to reflect that you already possess these securities at the creation of this account within Moneydance. If you are entering a transaction that is not an initial holding, be sure to enter as the category in the 2nd line "transaction fee" or "commision" to reflect applicable broker fees.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else