Importing From A Bank Account

Russell Colins

29 Mar, 2020 08:51 PM

I am very behind in data entry for one of my accounts and want to import about 8 months of data from my currant account.

I know i can export data from my bank account between certain dates - say 30th March 2019 to date.

Can I:

import this on top of my existing Moneydance data file for the same account which might have data in it up to say March 15 2019? I would then eliminate duplicate data.

Allocate data as it comes in to certain categories, Electricity fee to electricity fee etc.

Can I link Moneydance to on-line banking so it updates automatically please?

Many thanks

Russell Collins

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 29 Mar, 2020 09:55 PM

Hello Russell,

Yes, you can import your data from any time frame.

Regarding duplicates and categories, you will most likely want to go through the confirmation process after importing your data. Downloaded transactions should have a blue dot next to them in the description field. Clicking on a transaction with a blue dot should open a right sidebar with confirmation options. If the transaction is similar to one you have already manually entered, one of the options should be to merge those transactions. More details on the confirmation process with screenshots can be found at http://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/online-banking-and-bill-pay/co...

The transaction downloads can be automated if your bank supports direct connections (https://infinitekind.com/fi). If so, you can set these up by following the instructions at: https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/online-banking-and-bill-pay/d...

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Russell on 02 Apr, 2020 03:24 PM

Hi thereFurther to this, my Bank Barclays can only export as either a CSV, QBO or QFX fileRussell Collins07976 912550Www.russellcollinsart.comWww.PaintNightParty.co.uk
    -------- Original message --------From: Ethan <[email blocked]> Date: 29/03/2020 22:55 (GMT+00:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: Importing From A Bank Account [General Questions #96156]

3. 3 Posted by Russell on 02 Apr, 2020 03:26 PM

Sorry OFX not QFXRussell Collins07976 912550Www.russellcollinsart.comWww.PaintNightParty.co.uk
    -------- Original message --------From: Ethan <[email blocked]> Date: 29/03/2020 22:55 (GMT+00:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: Importing From A Bank Account [General Questions #96156]

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ethan on 02 Apr, 2020 03:44 PM

Hello Russell,

In that case, OFX is the best of those choices for manual imports. The instructions are at: https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/online-banking-and-bill-pay/m...

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

5. Ethan closed this discussion on 02 Apr, 2020 03:44 PM.

6. Russell re-opened this discussion on 02 Apr, 2020 04:17 PM

7. 5 Posted by Russell on 02 Apr, 2020 04:17 PM

Thank you and successful.I have seen questions about the blue dot against the names please.Everything has been imported under the category of "Automotive". Let us take a real entry which is Savvy Storage, which in existing data is under the category "Storage".I am at the Merge function and I see a number of existing entries where I have the dateSavvy Storage, Storage-156.00I only see the option Merge and Current Transaction. I don't see Similar Payees. I want to change the category of the downloaded transaction for Savvy Storage from "Automotive" to "Storage", but cant see the "Similar Payees" button to allow it.Please advise.Russell Collins07976 912550Www.russellcollinsart.comWww.PaintNightParty.co.uk
    -------- Original message --------From: Ethan <[email blocked]> Date: 02/04/2020 16:44 (GMT+00:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: Importing From A Bank Account [General Questions #96156]

8. 6 Posted by Russell on 02 Apr, 2020 04:31 PM

I think this is the last question Ethan. Is there a global change feature in Moneydance please where I could say highlight a number of entries and change the category en-mass please?Russell Collins07976 912550Www.russellcollinsart.comWww.PaintNightParty.co.uk
    -------- Original message --------From: Ethan <[email blocked]> Date: 02/04/2020 16:44 (GMT+00:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: Importing From A Bank Account [General Questions #96156]

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by Ethan on 02 Apr, 2020 04:40 PM

Hello,

It sounds like you may just not have confirmed enough transactions yet for Moneydance to make that suggestion. The suggestions for confirming downloaded data is based on transactions that are in your register and have been confirmed already. Try selecting the correct category in the confirmation sidebar and confirming the transaction. After you do this a few times, Moneydance should start suggesting better options.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

10. Support Staff 8 Posted by Ethan on 02 Apr, 2020 04:42 PM

Hello,

Yes, you can select any number of transactions in your register, right-click on the selection, and choose Batch Change -> Category from the popup (or whatever other thing you want to change). I'd recommend making a backup of your data file before doing this, since there's no easy way to undo this if you make a mistake with many transactions.

Another option would be to install the Find and Replace extension from the extensions menu, which also can do advanced find and replace functions.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

11. 9 Posted by Russell on 02 Apr, 2020 04:54 PM

Thank you.Russell Collins07976 912550Www.russellcollinsart.comWww.PaintNightParty.co.uk
    -------- Original message --------From: Ethan <[email blocked]> Date: 02/04/2020 17:42 (GMT+00:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: Importing From A Bank Account [General Questions #96156]

12. Ethan closed this discussion on 02 Apr, 2020 04:59 PM.

13. Russell re-opened this discussion on 02 Apr, 2020 05:00 PM

14. 10 Posted by Russell on 02 Apr, 2020 05:00 PM

All works nicely thanks Russell Collins07976 912550Www.russellcollinsart.comWww.PaintNightParty.co.uk
    -------- Original message --------From: Ethan <[email blocked]> Date: 02/04/2020 17:42 (GMT+00:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: Importing From A Bank Account [General Questions #96156]

15. Support Staff 11 Posted by Ethan on 02 Apr, 2020 05:04 PM

That's great to hear! Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

16. Ethan closed this discussion on 02 Apr, 2020 05:04 PM.

17. Russell re-opened this discussion on 11 Jul, 2020 07:36 PM

18. 12 Posted by Russell on 11 Jul, 2020 07:36 PM

Hi there.I need some advice please. I want to export my data from a Bank account in Moneydance to a spreadsheet so that I can do some analysis there. I tried exporting in tab delimited but when I go to open the file in excel the columns end up as currency, I'd name, rate and cannit be used.I would also like to export a selection of data. For instance do a search on the word "Franchise", and export that selection please.Russell Collins07976 912550Www.russellcollinsart.comWww.PaintNightParty.co.uk

19. Support Staff 13 Posted by Maddy on 14 Jul, 2020 04:45 PM

Hi Russell,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

Please find two possible workarounds below:

• Within Excel
    • For occasional use
      If all the currency characters are the same (e.g. all £), remove them all in one go. Highlight the column, press Ctrl-H for find-and-replace, put £ (or whatever) in the Find box and leave the Replace box empty, then Replace All.
    1. For often pasting into a larger analysis spreadsheet.
      Set up another column in which each cell is the pasted-in currency value plus zero e.g. =b8+0. This will be happy with numbers, currency-text values. blanks, etc. You can then do analysis on that column.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac