Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
This is an archived document. Please refer to the more recent knowledge base articles on this page
There are two major methods of entering a paycheck into Moneydance.
The first, and simplest manner, of entering a paycheck into Moneydance is to enter a transaction with a category of “Income” (or whatever you name your income category) in the amount of your net pay. In other words, enter a transaction in the amount of your take-home pay.
Many people want to keep more detailed records of their paychecks, including the amount which is withheld for taxes, insurance premiums, Health Saving Account contributions, or other items. Because I'm most familiar with United States Tax and withholding situations I'll use those as an example, but the same strategy can be used regardless of your country.
First, we'll create a split transaction. The first line of the split is the “Salary” amount, which will be the gross income amount. The remaining lines of the split will reflect any amount withheld from the check- federal, state, and local taxes, insurance premiums, Social Security and Medicare contributions, and any other items. The total “Deposit” amount will now reflect the amount of your take-home pay. See the example screenshot below.
In order to simplify the process of entering your paycheck each time, it's often easiest to create a reminder transaction. To do so, first select the existing paycheck selection. Then right click (or Ctrl+Click or two finger touch on a Mac) the transaction and select “Memorize” from the menu which appears.
This will bring up the Transaction Reminder dialogue box. If you're paid every two weeks, then it's often easiest to set the transaction to repeat every 14 days. If you're paid via direct deposit and your paycheck is identical each week, you may want to have this transaction automatically entered in the register. To do so, check the “Auto-commit” box.
If you deposit your check manually, or your paycheck varies from week to week, it's best to commit the reminder manually. A reminder of your upcoming transactions will show on your home page.
Click on the paycheck reminder to show the Reminder Notification window.
In this window, click on the “Category” field to display the split editor inbox. Then edit the amounts of the individual lines of the split as necessary.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else