Archive - Restoring from a checkpoint file in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
This is an archived document. Please refer to the more recent knowledge base articles on this page
First you need to locate your data set. You can do this with our instructions on where your data set is stored.
Once you have located where your data set is, ctrl-click on the file name that matches the name at the top of your Moneydance window and select 'Show Package Contents'. If you're not using Mac OS X, you can simply navigate into your data set folder (which ends with .moneydance).
This will open up a folder that will show you current accounts file, the one ending with '.mdinternal', and a folder called checkpt. Open the folder called checkpt. The checkpt folder contains a collection of dated backup copies of your root.mdinternal file, which is your current data file.
At this point you will want to rename root.mdinternal to something like 'root.mdinternalrename'. Any name change will do as long as it is meaningful to you.
After you have done this, you can simply re-open Moneydance and, if you had the data set whose root.mdinternal file you just renamed opened previously, Moneydance will prompt you to restore a checkpoint and have a dated list of checkpoints available. Alternatively, you can go to File -> Open to open the data set and then be prompted to restore a checkpoint.
If you'd prefer to restore the checkpoint manually for any reason, navigate to the checkpt folder within your .moneydance folder, then simply copy the root.mdinternal-YYYY-MM-DD file that you want to restore to where the root.mdinternal file was that you renamed earlier (directly within the .moneydance folder) and remove the date from the backup file so now it is just "root.mdinternal".
Once you have done this, go to Moneydance and select menu: File -> Open and open up the file with the name you are trying to restore. In the above example this would be called "Demo". You now have your backup file open, you can repeat this procedure for checking the others.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else