Archive - Getting Started - First Steps with Moneydance
This is an archived document. Please refer to the more recent knowledge base articles on this page
Opening Moneydance for the first time -
If you’ve used Moneydance 2012, 2014 or 2015 - Your account set should be visible in the list on the right. Click to open, or click “Open Other” to navigate to your data file in a different location.
Please note, Moneydance 2015 data files use a new format and cannot be opened using earlier versions of Moneydance.
If you’ve are using Moneydance 2011 or earlier- Click “Import New Account Set” to navigate to and convert your data file into the next Moneydance 2015 format. Select “Convert Only” to continue to store your data in it’s current location, or “Convert and Import” to move your data into Moneydance’s internal library.
If you’re new to Moneydance - You can create a new empty account set, import data from a QIF file, or import data from Quicken™ Essentials. You can also get in touch with our support team by clicking on “Get Help with using Moneydance.” See this article for details on importing data from other personal finance programs.
Registering Moneydance -
Before registering Moneydance you’ll need to open a data file. Next, select the Help→ Register Moneydance menu item and enter your license key. If you purchased Moneydance from the Mac App Store you do not need to register your copy of Moneydance.
Creating a new Moneydance file -
When creating a new account set you have three major options:
Create a New Account Set: Choose this option if you don’t need to import data from another program.
Import New Account Set: Choose this option if you are opening a data file from Moneydance 2011 or earlier, or are importing data which you exported from another personal finance program.
Migrate from Quicken™ Essentials: Choose this option if you would like to import data from Quicken™ Essentials. For more details, see this article.
Once you click on your desired option you’ll name your new Account Set, and will choose a Primary Currency which will be the default currency for all new accounts.
You’ll also need to select a File Type -
Minimal is designed for those who are importing data from another program
Standard is for those who are not importing data.
Moneydance at a glance -
For a view and summary of the Moneydance register, you can view Page 4 of the User Guide.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else