Archive - How to represent a house as an investment
This is an archived document. Please refer to the more recent knowledge base articles on this page
If you want to be able to record the value of your house in Moneydance and be able to update its value as the market changes you can do so by treating it as a security in an investment account. Here is how.
1) Create a new Investment account by selecting Account->New Account. Set the type to investment ans set the initial balance to the purchase prince of the house.
2) As you can see from the home page this creates an investment account with enough cash in it to buy the house. In this example $250,000
3) Click on the investment account from the home page and you will be taken into the account and asked if you would like to add a security. Click "Yes".
4) Click the "New Security" button.
5) Set the name for the house and the purchase price and click "OK".
6) Click "OK" again to make the newly created security available in this investment account.
7) Click on the "Register" button to go to the register for the investment account. Once there click the new transaction button. Set the "date" to the purchase date, Set the "Action' to "Buy", the security for this house will already be selected, set the "shares" 1. The amount will be calculated. Press return to record the transaction.
8) If you go back to the "Portfolio View" you can see that this investment account now holds 1 share in the house security purchased at $250000. The cash balance in the investment account is now $0 since we used it to make the purchase.
9) If you go back to the home page you can also see that you own 1 house worth $250000.
10) If you want to update the market value of the house click on the investment account on the home page and then click on the "Security Detail" view. Click the "History" button for this security.
11) Once in the security history window enter the new price of the house in the "Current Price" field and then click the "New" button.
12) If you go back to the home page you can see that the price has been updated.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else